• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandhill Crane Roosts. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
I am a youngin but I remember when I was even younger driving by the fields on the way to my moms friends and seeing thousands and thousands of the Sandhill Cranes. I had recently got into birding and just yesterday my mom called me and told me she had seen on the news that the roost will be comming in in full in February. I am pretty excited, I don't go birding of any sort. I am the bedroom window watcher. But I got location on the cranes and location on a few Bald Eagles and I can't really believe how dang excited I really am to go out and search for them and see them.

EDIT: Just checking on a search about them I see they are expecting half a million.
http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/guides/migration/sandhill.asp

Last edited:
You're thinking of the Platte River, then. Lucky you! I've never been there, but would love to visit one day.

Sandhills aren't the only birds you'll see, either -- there should be waterfowl by the bazillions as well, since the Platte lies along the mid-continental flyway.

Don't know that you'll see a half-million Sandhills, but many tens of thousands, to be sure. It might be a half-million migrating birds of all kinds!

Kinda makes our Indiana Sandhill magnet of Jasper-Pulaski sound fairly paltry by comparison! You might get 7-12,000 through in the spring, but in the fall (early November) it can jump to 20-25,000! And it's an absolutely heart-stopping sight to see them fly in at evening for the night's roost.

Sure hope you get to go! You'll never forget it, I promise!

You are exactly right, It is the Platte River, lived on it all my life. I am just SO excited waiting for the birds. And I AM going, I am 50 miles from there. I WILL go, LOL.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back