• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scopes and planes (1 Viewer)

johnny124

Hi all :)

I'm travelling abroad soon, and wanted to take my fairly recently purchased scope with me (Opticron GS 815 GA ED). I don't want to trust it to the suitcase (it'll either get damaged or stolen....) so wanted to take it as carry on luggage.

How does everyone else handle this? Any tips? Do you tend to get stopped and have to show what it is?

Thanks B :)

Firstly as its your first post welcome to BF.

I always carry my scope in my hand luggage (a smallish rucksack) and have never experienced any problems in 20 years of doing so. On occasion I've been asked to take it from its case and remove lens covers but thats no big deal.

I wouldn't trust any optics in hold baggage the way its so roughly handled.

Cheers

Stewart

Thanks Stewart - was worried also whether they'd consider it sports equipment and worthy of a surcharge etc, but good to see it should be fine.

Again I would take it as hand luggage. I had my bins around my neck but swiftly removed them when we arrived in Nairobi airport.

Once outside I put them on again, My tripod was wrapped in bubble wrap in my holdall which went on the plane. The authorities had removed it to inspect my tripod but to give them thier due they did re wrap it for me.

I have travelled worldwide with no problems.

Beware of using BTO codes when abroad in your notebook. To the wrong people they could be construed as code for spying.

Is there a thread here on what to do if questioned by the authorites when birdwatching abroad.?

Carl. Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back