• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina (2 Viewers)

Does anybody know when the books "Birds of Argentina Volumes 1 & 2: and the South-West Atlantic" by Mark Pearman will be released?

Regards
Carsten

I've just received NHBS Ornithology Newsletter - September 2011, which features Birds of Argentina as due in October! WildSounds also lists it as available from mid-Oct 2011. Probably another mistake/misunderstanding...?

I've just received NHBS Ornithology Newsletter - September 2011, which features Birds of Argentina as due in October! .......

The NHBS website lists the individual volumes as cancelled. So only the two-volume set seems to become available, whenever that will be. They still list it for 2011 as well.

The NHBS website lists the individual volumes as cancelled. So only the two-volume set seems to become available, whenever that will be. They still list it for 2011 as well.

Thanks to both Swissboy and Richard for the news. I really do hope that they will be released in 2011. I'm planning a trip to Argentina in 2012 and hope to learn a little about the birds before going. It's our first trip to South America so there are lots of new birds to get to know.

Regards
Carsten

I do not think these Argentina books by Mark Pearman will be coming out this year. I had a brief e-mail exchange with him last year (Aug 2010) about these books. At that time, Mr. Pearman said the final works would be due in 2012. He also mentioned the covers shown on Amazon were promoted prematurely and without his consent. It's out of respect for his continuing work that I've not posted those covers on my own website for South American books.

Jack

Carsten,

Welcome to the forum. It might be jumping the gun a bit (although even the best athletes do it!), but don't forget to tell us about your trip to Argentina when you get back. BirdForum also has a Vacation Trip Report forum.

Allen

Carsten.
You can always count with the "Birds of Argentina" from Narosky & Yzurieta. Drawings are not the best but I must tell I love this guide. It was my first bird book when I was six and now I call it "the Bible". The birds description are mostly very accurate and once you get used to the guide is very easy to use. The last edition comes with birds photographs and a cd and is not expensive at all (in Buenos Aires it will cost you around u$s 50).
If you need any help in your trip I will be glad to help you.

Julián

Carsten.
You can always count with the "Birds of Argentina" from Narosky & Yzurieta. Drawings are not the best but I must tell I love this guide.......Julián

This guide has often been criticized, but I agree with Julián that it is much better than its reputation. In most cases, I got along very well with this book in 2005/2006. One feature that I found extremely helpful is the fact that the most important distinguishing features are marked in bold face. I had the "de la Peña" FG (Birds of Southern South America ...) along as well, but I used it very occasionally only. Not sure whether the photos in the new edition of Narosky & Yzurieta will be of much help. They may rather clutter up the pages, I'm afraid.

I strongly suggest, however, that you get the book now to prepare for your trip. Do not wait to get it on arrival or speculate that just maybe the Pearman volumes will be out in time for your trip. It is most helpful to spend considerable time in advance with the appropriate books. In my case, I had written the corresponding plate numbers of the "de la Peña" book to the entries in the Narosky book, as "of course" the sequences and sometimes even the names differ.

Last edited:
Pending the arrival of Mark Pearman's guide, Ridgely & Tudor 2009 (Birds of South America: Passerines) is also a useful reference, given that most serious ID problems concern passerine species. Probably too heavy for field use, but worth having in the vehicle/hotel room.

Trip to Argentina

Carsten,

Welcome to the forum. It might be jumping the gun a bit (although even the best athletes do it!), but don't forget to tell us about your trip to Argentina when you get back. BirdForum also has a Vacation Trip Report forum.

Allen

Hi Allen,

I'd be glad to submit a trip report once the trip is done. I'm looking forward to it

Regards
Carsten

Carsten.
You can always count with the "Birds of Argentina" from Narosky & Yzurieta. Drawings are not the best but I must tell I love this guide. It was my first bird book when I was six and now I call it "the Bible". The birds description are mostly very accurate and once you get used to the guide is very easy to use. The last edition comes with birds photographs and a cd and is not expensive at all (in Buenos Aires it will cost you around u$s 50).
If you need any help in your trip I will be glad to help you.

Julián

Hi Julián,

I've already had a look at this guide but an older version and true the drawings are not the best, but if the information in the guide is correct it may make up for the drawings. The photographs in the new edition could be a good help if they are good. I've not had an opertunity to check for myself.

Thank you very much for your very kind offer to help with the trip, as we get closer I may need answers to specific questions about Argentina and will be glad to have a place to ask - thanks

Regards
Carsten

This guide has often been criticized, but I agree with Julián that it is much better than its reputation. In most cases, I got along very well with this book in 2005/2006. One feature that I found extremely helpful is the fact that the most important distinguishing features are marked in bold face. I had the "de la Peña" FG (Birds of Southern South America ...) along as well, but I used it very occasionally only. Not sure whether the photos in the new edition of Narosky & Yzurieta will be of much help. They may rather clutter up the pages, I'm afraid.

I strongly suggest, however, that you get the book now to prepare for your trip. Do not wait to get it on arrival or speculate that just maybe the Pearman volumes will be out in time for your trip. It is most helpful to spend considerable time in advance with the appropriate books. In my case, I had written the corresponding plate numbers of the "de la Peña" book to the entries in the Narosky book, as "of course" the sequences and sometimes even the names differ.

Hi Swissboy,

Thanks for your reply. I agree on the necessity of being well prepared so I've bought "Birds of Chile: Including the Antartic Peninsular, the Falkland Islands and South Georgia by Alvaro Jaramillo, Peter Burke and David Beadle" and have started swotting but I might also buy "Birds of Argentina and Uruguay: A Field Guide by Tito Narosky" now that I know about a newer edition with photographs.
I can't see from Amazon's homepage whether the one they offer is the latest edition. It looks as if it is from 2003. Do you know which edition have photograhs and CD?

Regards
Carsten

Hi Swissboy,

Do you know which edition have photograhs and CD?

The edition with pictures is the 2011(you can find it in the "books" link from this page). I have seen the pictures and most of them are quite helpfull.
If you need any information of Argentina just ask.

Julián

.....I've bought "Birds of Chile: Including the Antartic Peninsular, the Falkland Islands and South Georgia by Alvaro Jaramillo, Peter Burke and David Beadle" .......Carsten

Is there really a book with this title? I have the Jaramillo one issued in 2003, and it is for Chile only. I actually posted a brief review of it on Amazon.com in 2004. But then there is one by Couve and Vidal that covers Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego, Antarctic Peninsula, Falkland Islands and South Georgia. My edition is also from 2003. The latter is a book based on photos.

EDIT: I just found your book in the "books" section that had been mentioned by Julián. This is the first time that I see that the Helm and Princeton editions can actually differ. My Jaramillo version has only 240 pages, yours apparently has 288. Interestingly enough, however, my version has the last two plates (#95 and 96) with Falkland and South Georgia birds. Usually, the American and British editions basically just differ in the design of the cover. (And in the price as well, the US versions often being considerably cheaper.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back