• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Kansas (1 Viewer)

darshana

Hi ,

Spring is around the corner and you can already notice that birds chirping has increased. American robins are seen in increasing numbers . The northern cardinals have become more prominent with their bright red color and you can hear them singing now.

I am a visitor to US and currently in Kansas. I would like to know good birding places around Kansas.

N'joy birding :)
Darshana

darshana said:
Hi ,

I am a visitor to US and currently in Kansas. I would like to know good birding places around Kansas.

N'joy birding :)
Darshana

Hi Darshana
I am staying up late watching Comic Relief on British TV - it is 3.45 in the morning.
Welcome to BirdForum. I hope that you get some info about Kansas birding sites. If not, try going to BirdingPals and look for members in Kansas.

Steve

Hi Darshana,

Welcome to BirdForum. I live just east of Kansas in the state of Missouri. There are a couple of places where I go to bird in Kansas which are over by Great Bend, Kansas. They are Cheyenne Bottoms which is good for all sorts of waterfowl, herons,egrets, cranes and shorebirds. Nearby is Quivera National Wildlife Refuge they have a lot of the same birds with the addition of some rails. The Snowy Plovers and Least Terns nest at Quivera.

Perhaps some Kansas birders can offer you some more suggestions of good places to bird.

Hi, Darshana! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

You might also want to post your request for Kansas info on the Information Wanted forum.

Hope you have a great time visiting the US, and please let us know what birds you see while here! :t:

Hi Darshana,

Was just at a talk about Kansas the other day and the recommendations that Larry gives are excellent - i think the end of April and early may are the high points of migration at both spots (it's a small window apparently). I also had some perching bird spots recommended and when I have a minute to dig out my notes from the car i'll send details on sparrows etc.

Luke

I'm not sure what part of Kansas you are in, but I am in southeast Nebraska, just across the border. During March we have a HUGE number of migrating ducks, geese, and especially sandhill cranes in central Nebraska along the Platte River. It might be worth the drive for you. If you would be interested in knowing more about birding anywhere in Nebraska, I'd be very happy to pass along more information!

good birding,

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back