• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Kite & Yellow Kite? (Tiebele, Burkina Faso) (1 Viewer)

madtownecon

These photos were taken January 12 in far southern Burkina Faso when Black Kites could be migrant visitors. I often struggle with the Black Kite/Yellow-billed Kite identification, particularly with younger birds.

The bird on the right has a bill that is mostly yellow, with some black toward the hook. This strikes me as an "almost adult" Yellow-billed Kite.

The bird on the left looks so different. It has a black ear coverts, a contrasting golden hood, streakier head, and just looks overall larger. Despite its larger size, its bill looks black everywhere below the cere.

Did I luck out and get both species in the same frame or is the sexual size dimorphism particularly strong in the yellow-billed kites?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 66
To me they look like 2 Yellow-billed Kites, the one on the left a slightly younger bird. Bill base is actually quite pale on the left bird, much paler than you'd expect to see in Black Kite. On Black Kite there's a strong contrast between the black bill and the pale cere, there's no gradation. Juvs have bill as dark as adults, and that is really dark. As for size, I see them as quite close in size actually (I did even measure the screen with a ruler); the bird on the left is raising its head feathers making the head look bigger, but I think they're quite close in size.
A 1st year Black Kite here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/diniscortes/4471692800/
Compare bill patterns.

To me they look like 2 Yellow-billed Kites, the one on the left a slightly younger bird. Bill base is actually quite pale on the left bird, much paler than you'd expect to see in Black Kite. On Black Kite there's a strong contrast between the black bill and the pale cere, there's no gradation. Juvs have bill as dark as adults, and that is really dark. As for size, I see them as quite close in size actually (I did even measure the screen with a ruler); the bird on the left is raising its head feathers making the head look bigger, but I think they're quite close in size.
A 1st year Black Kite here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/diniscortes/4471692800/
Compare bill patterns.

I agree with that :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back