• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camping at Barrow and Gambell in June. (1 Viewer)

Jens Thalund

Trying to keep costs down in Alaska, I was wondering if it is possible to spend a few nights in Barrow and Gambell in a tent in June (?)
I've got the equipment to battle the wind, rain and cool temperatures, but I already found out, that I'm not allowed to camp on St Paul island - contrary to information from 5-10 years ago.

cheers

Jens

Hi Jens,

There are reports of Polar bears in the month of June around Barrow; May be a point to take into account.

KR,

filip

There is no designated camping areas around Barrow, but I would write to UIC (https://uicalaska.com/our-lands/land-access/) to see if you can obtain permission; though if they do grant permission you will likely have to pay the $150 for a land use permit. Polar Bears are certainly a possibility to keep in mind, although more likely to be out by the ice on the peninsula than inland at that time of year.

There is no designated camping areas around Barrow, but I would write to UIC (https://uicalaska.com/our-lands/land-access/) to see if you can obtain permission; though if they do grant permission you will likely have to pay the $150 for a land use permit. Polar Bears are certainly a possibility to keep in mind, although more likely to be out by the ice on the peninsula than inland at that time of year.

I reckon I would have to pay for the permit in any case, to be able to access the tundra, and any dry spot would do. I am mostly interested to know if there is a no-camping-allowed attitude like on St Pauls.

Jens

Just had a message back from UIC, and as ovenbird43 stated, you can camp and access the tundra with the 150USD land use permit.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back