• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common House Sparrows. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
Common House Sparrows Problem

I have a, what I would call, a large group of House Sparrows. The number is 30-60. They are regular visitors to my feeding stations.

Lately I have noticed some really "tore up" birds. Not like anything got to them (cat) or anything of the sort but they are just horrible looking. I tried to get pics but unsuccessful so far.

Their looks appear to be balding of some sort. like the entire top of their heads are featherless and got some under feather plumage exposed. They sometimes appear wet like as the House Finch conjunctivitis cases I have seen. I know that the wet-look is not do to any bird bathing of any sort either. I am just wondering what to do? They are eating fine, and drinking fine, but thye look so horrible.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but I would stop feeding the birds for a while until these sparrows go away so they won't pass on whatever it is they have to your other birds.You should also clean your birdfeeders before you put them back up.

All the feeders are cleaned regularly. Ground is raked up aswell. I can't really see the birds going away, they are resident Sparrows. If they are not feeding at my house they are at a neighbors eating doog food or drinking the dogs water. They also reside in a large wood pile of a different neighbor and have so for aslong as I can recall.

I would advise you to get expert advice. Have you got an equivalent RSPB.
You could e-mail them with a possible photo. And keep an eye on them. I don't suppose there is alot you can do for wild birds. I would not advise you to touch them as you may put yourself at risk of catching something.

Here is another thought. I had a problem with house sparrows being too numerous and wiping out my feeders. There is a device called a halo which keeps house sparrows away from your feeder but doesn't discourage other birds. I made my own. It is basically a ring that goes above the feeder. You have 4 or 5 lines hanging down with little weights on the bottom.The lines are set back anout 10" away from the feeder.You can make one out of a metal clothes hanger and fishing line. I went from having 40 house sparrows at my feeder station to almost zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back