• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange House Finches. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
I have a large group of House Finches feeding regularly. Lately I have noticed about 10-15 Orange males in the 100 or so that feed here. Are the Orange ones common? What causes the extremely noticeable difference? These are CLEARLY orange, not just a light red etc. Infact I personally prefer the orange ones.

Hi there.

Your orange finches are known as "variants" and can be seen in yellow and sometimes white. Everything I have read on this is that it is diet generated but I cannot confirm this as fact.

That's what I've understood, too, KC. I've had all kinds of colors on HOFIs in the yard. Last summer, even had a Cassin's Finch that was orange, which is extremely unusual.

San Francisco area

When we lived in the Bay Area, we had quite a few orange variant House Finches at our feeders. The variance is caused by diet.

I haven't seen any in Texas yet.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back