• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Sandbach flashes (1 Viewer)

upstarts1979

Visited Elton Hall flash 7th April for the first time in 20 years -appears much as I remember.
I was surprised no one else was around:
saw the following:-
Black Tailed godwit 30+
Redshank 6
Lapwing 10+
Common Snipe
Wigeon 200+
Teal 50
Shelduck 8
Chiffchaff 2 singing
I don't know if this place is well watched as it was in the 'old' days but still looks a great place
Could not find any other threads to the site . Is there a site dedicated to the Sandbach flashes so I can keep tabbs ion the place.
cheers John

Visited Elton Hall flash 7th April for the first time in 20 years -appears much as I remember.
I was surprised no one else was around:
saw the following:-
Black Tailed godwit 30+
Redshank 6
Lapwing 10+
Common Snipe
Wigeon 200+
Teal 50
Shelduck 8
Chiffchaff 2 singing
I don't know if this place is well watched as it was in the 'old' days but still looks a great place
Could not find any other threads to the site . Is there a site dedicated to the Sandbach flashes so I can keep tabbs ion the place.
cheers John

I've been visiting there on & off since 1989 and the area has changed quite dramatically. The willow area to the right of EHF around the river wouldn't have been there 20 years ago. You could see the back of the flash from the road without having to go down the lane. The same thing has happened on the right side of PHF again around the river inflow. There is a high coverage with many locals watching the site daily, so not much gets missed. There is a log onsite still which gives the local sightings.

CB

I've been visiting there on & off since 1989 and the area has changed quite dramatically. The willow area to the right of EHF around the river wouldn't have been there 20 years ago. You could see the back of the flash from the road without having to go down the lane. The same thing has happened on the right side of PHF again around the river inflow. There is a high coverage with many locals watching the site daily, so not much gets missed. There is a log onsite still which gives the local sightings.

CB
Hi CB
Yes come to think of it there was a log book on the opposite side of the road inside a box on a post, and it was a lot more open, still a great site. It has one thing in common with my local patch at upton warren , worcs in that it is one of the very few inland salt marsh sites in the UK. (Am I correct in that). Who actually owns it? I did notice a few signs for the east cheshire bird club or something similar presumably they have a say in its management.

cheers John

Hi CB
Yes come to think of it there was a log book on the opposite side of the road inside a box on a post, and it was a lot more open, still a great site. It has one thing in common with my local patch at upton warren , worcs in that it is one of the very few inland salt marsh sites in the UK. (Am I correct in that). Who actually owns it? I did notice a few signs for the east cheshire bird club or something similar presumably they have a say in its management.

cheers John

The site is a SSSI but I think the land is owned by the farmer. The local bird group, SECOS, have been encouraging the owner to do more for the birds. The footpath and viewing point away from the road is probably the most visible sign of that. Having talked with locals a couple of weeks ago they think the wader passage in recent years at the site is now much lower than previously.

CB

I still rate it very high and had some good birds there in the past. Infact may give it a whirl tomorrow after Frodsham.Im surprised there was nobody there as CB says its still very well watched

A great site and my local patch from 1979 to 1985 when I went to Uni in Norwich. Finding the upland sand in December 1983 was a birding highlight - I've still never found a County First in my current county of Hampshire.

cheers, alan

What a great find that was Alan. I got a phone call telling me about the bird that evening. My informant was so excited that he couldn't remember the name of the bird. All he could remember was that it used to be called Bartram's Sandpiper. I eventually figured out that it was an Upland Sandpiper. We went to see it next morning - my birthday - and it remains by far the most memorable bird I've seen on my birthday. You'll have to go some to equal that find but good luck!

Does anyone have a postcode for the satnav to get me somewhere close, I have been before but that was a very long time ago. Thanks. Neil.

Does anyone have a postcode for the satnav to get me somewhere close, I have been before but that was a very long time ago. Thanks. Neil.

Hi Neil,

The flashes have never been an easy place to find, especially as the area is a maze of lanes. The main flashes at Elton Hall & Pump House Flashes are at postcode CW11 3QY. Watch Lane has the postcode CW11 3PD. Hope this helps.

CB

Am totally baffled by the report. I visit the flashes occasionally and can't imagine any birder setting traps for badgers or threatening OAP's - indeed, many of them ARE OAP's !

Ah, brings back memories. I birded the flashes about 73-79, and was always very fond of the site and it was easy on the train from Manchester. I had my first LSWs in the wet woodland, and nice Willow Tits (are they still there?) - also my first Lesser Yellowlegs and remember having a whole afternoon alone having crippling views of my (up to then) rarest passerine, a Little Bunting. By the time the Upland was there, I had left for Spain (and I've still never seen one!).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back