• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Cathartes Vulture in Brazil (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi guys,

I've this old photo (Janary 2009) that I identified only thanks to the parents around. Well, a lost bird is not impossible and, more important, I'm looking for features to identify juvenile vultures in case I see one alone. I found litterature poor on the subject. All 3 Turkey, Lesser Yellow-headed and Greater Yellow-headed occur around the area, near Manaus.

Can you be kind enough to tell me how would you identify that individual and, as important, based on what features ?

THANKSSSS

Attachments

• Cathartes_brbf.jpg
    Cathartes_brbf.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 39
I'm confused, have you identified the above species and are speculating as to what a juvenile would look like or are you suggesting that this is a juv?

I'm confused, have you identified the above species and are speculating as to what a juvenile would look like or are you suggesting that this is a juv?

It is a juv I've seen with adults, I guess its parents, so I believe I know the identification. I'm looking for features to confirm (or not) the species.

The pale head with darker bill, suggest a sub adult rather than juvenile which would have an all dark head?

I'd say GYH based on head colour/ pattern and feet seem to be grey, contrasting with paler legs but their habit of defacting on their legs could mislead.

The pale head with darker bill, suggest a sub adult rather than juvenile which would have an all dark head?

I'd say GYH based on head colour/ pattern and feet seem to be grey, contrasting with paler legs but their habit of defacting on their legs could mislead.

It was with adult Great Yellow-headed Vultures indeed, that's confirming then. Wings too short for Lesser YhV, but I was wondering how to exclude local Turkey Vulture (ruficollis).

Thanks Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back