• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spider in blue tit box (1 Viewer)

Mantis

We have a camera box. Last year, when cleaning it out, we found a large spider which we are fairly sure was steatoda nobilis, the false widow. This year we have seen one inside again, via the webcam. Would it be dangerous to nestlings, should a bird decide to nest? There has been some interest from two different pairs of blue tits, and a great tit has also paid a visit. Should we clean out the box again, or will a new occupant deal with the spider?

We have a camera box. Last year, when cleaning it out, we found a large spider which we are fairly sure was steatoda nobilis, the false widow. This year we have seen one inside again, via the webcam. Would it be dangerous to nestlings, should a bird decide to nest? There has been some interest from two different pairs of blue tits, and a great tit has also paid a visit. Should we clean out the box again, or will a new occupant deal with the spider?

I'm pretty sure they will deal with it. I have seen (via webcam) my Great Tit taking out a spider and killing a wasp by decapitating it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back