• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Most Rediculos but funny answers non birders have told their kids (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
The Most Ridiculous but funny answers non birders have told their kids

Every now and then we will be Birding and we will notice a non Birder with their kids either feeding the birds or in certain areas and you'll hear them say the most Ridiculous but funny questions or answers. When was the last time you heard someone say something? Few years ago I was Birding in a river, there were lots of Gulls, Ducks and Swans. A family were up near me and I heard 'What noise does a Swan make?' then I heard the answer 'quack quack' then I heard 'that's right' I couldn't help but laugh but roll my eyes at the same time.

I remember twitching a Cattle Egret somewhere, my ex-wife being a non birder asked 'why is it called a Cattle Egret'?

I patiently explained, 'you see that sharp, dagger like bill, well, it creeps up through the grass and while the cow has it's head down feeding, it pounces and stabs the cow straight through the brain then eats the cows face'.

'OMG, should we tell the farmer it's in his field' came the reply...............

not bird related, but I remember visiting a zoo with a friend and both of us were looking at the Japanese Serow. I don't remember the exact phrasing, but we jokingly referred to them as wolfgoats or something. Sure enough, a young couple walks up behind us and the boyfriend confidently points out to his girlfriend, clearly trying to sound impressive, that they were looking at wolfgoats...

American tourist, on giving a substantial donation to the Farne Islands wardens, "It must cost you a fortune to feed all of these birds!" :-O

Guy on top of the kittiwake viewing platform at the Baltic in Gateshead last year explaining to his girlfriend they were pigeons

In every popular (and safe) port around the world there is usually a stable and sometimes considerable community of world girdling sailboat cruisers. These cruisers in port will have something called the scheduled morning VHF cruisers net. It consists of news, swap meets, weather info, dates of pot lucks, that sort of thing and is why most folks on sailboats while in these ports tend leave their VHF radios on all day.

One morning, while tied up in a marina in Mazatlan, Mexico a flock of Rosette Spoonbills landed on the mudbank behind our boat to feed. Within 30 seconds one of the cruisers was on the VHF radio to announce that the “Flamingos” were back.

Cheers,
Bryan

I did something like this recently.
I visited a newly opened nature center, where a nice and knowledgeable lady explained to me what they did, and that one pool is especially created for watching kingfishers. I could not resist and asked:
- So, did you already purchase and release the kingfishers?
I think she got it, but maybe I made myself a legend among the staff.

I always remember the story of a lady in a hide in Scotland looking through a scope and remarking " oh look, a puffin with a carrot in its beak." To which the warden replied " I'm sorry madam, but thats an Oystercatcher!"

In New England last year a lady excitedly pointed out three puffins to us. They were cormorants. She refused to believe us.

I once called out a distant Honey Buzzard in Norfolk, 'look at those flat wings' I announced to the assembled throng. It gradually drew closer and revealed itself to be a hang glider, appointment at Specsavers was duly arranged!

I tried to explain to my OH why stonechats were so called. Because they make a clack clack noise like two stones knocking together I said. She disputed this and said what about the trill at the end. they should be called clack-clack-oops birds she declared. This has stuck ever since and every time we see one she declares, irrespective of who may be listening, oh look, there's a clack-clack-oops bird.

Got another Spoonbill one,
We were visiting the Space coast bird fair couple weeks ago and nipped over to Merritt Island National Wildlife reserve one morning.

A group of us were observing a mixed flock of Spoonbills and Wood storks and one lady was overheard telling another lady that the “pink” ones are male and the “white” ones are females.
Cheers,
Bryan

"Lucy, why is Charlie Brown banging his head against that tree?"

"To loosen the bark to help the tree grow. Come along, Linus."

I heard a funny story some years back from a friend. She was with another friend at a park and there were ducks in the pond. A couple of the ducks bolted out of the pond flying quickly away.
Her friend said "Wait ... ducks can fly? when did this happen?!! ... "

Another one I just remembered:
People at my job know I'm a bird watcher. A young lady I used to work with asked me if I saw any good birds at the park when I came back from my lunch break. I told her I watched some ducks in the pond. She replied ... "oh, so no birds ... wait, are ducks birds?..."

Last edited:
I heard a funny story some years back from a friend. She was with another friend at a park and there were ducks in the pond. A couple of the ducks bolted out of the pond flying quickly away.
Her friend said "Wait ... ducks can fly? when did this happen?!! ... "

Another one I just remembered:
People at my job know I'm a bird watcher. A young lady I used to work with asked me if I saw any good birds at the park when I came back from my lunch break. I told her I watched some ducks in the pond. She replied ... "oh, so no birds ... wait, are ducks birds?..."

Sounds as though they may a problem with their Anas.

Last edited:
Was enjoying a glass of mine with a friend of mine last week, sitting alongside the lake behind the cottage. “Oh look, it’s one of those dumb ducks” she said. Took a while to register. “No. That’s a Mute Swan” I replied. :-O3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back