• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Central Florida - March 15th-29th 2008 (1 Viewer)

apbarr

Scotland
My wife and I are staying inj Kissimmee for 2 weeks in March and I'd like information and advice on the best sites to visit. We're prepared to travel around 3 to 4 hours if required. Need all the Florida specialities and already have Fort Desoto, Joe Overstrand/3 lakes and Merritt Island in mind for visits and possibly Cedar Key for M. Frigatebird unless we hit it lucky at Desoto. Thanks to Grousemore for providing some info already. All info gladly received

I live on Merritt Island so I know the area. If I were you I would skip MINWR and spend a day at viera wetlands. Sure MINWR is good but Viera wetlands is GREAT. At Viera Wetlands there are super high densities of wildlife, Bald Eagles, Caracaras, Harriers, Hawks, cormorats, anhingas....ETC all within a 150 acre area.
P.S. you can drive the entire time, and you can get close to the animals if you use your car as a blind.
Best of luck

Alex

One site to consider is Orlando Wetlands which is about half way to Merritt Island. I have had good luck in getting Black-bellied Whistling Ducks there. For good directions, and many other bird sites, get yourself a copy of the Florida Birding Trail booklet for that area. You can even download a copy. Just "Google" Florida Birding Trail.

Kissimmee Prairie State Park is within your driving limit and might be worth a visit. I found it good for Wild Turkey, White-tailed Deer, Crested Caracara, N. Harrier, N. Bobwhite and many other birds and other wildlife.
The area has limited roads to drive around but does have a large network of trails. My biggest regret is I didn't allow long enough to fully explore the area before sunset.

It looks like we will be in Key Largo for one night during our stay, I'm hoping to have an afternoon birding. Any suggestions for the best location?

Got to see an otter on shore for a bit at a distance of around 20 feet. Cloudy rainy day while were there and still got 230 photos. Have fun out there!!

Blackpoint Drive Cape Canaveral

I really like Blackpoint drive this time of the year. There are thousands of various birds including Bald Eagles, Roseate Spoonbills, Herons of varios kinds and thousands of various ducks. It's a nice 7 mile drive on freshly gavelled roads with wooden walkways, towers, parking and bathrooms.

rosetta2.jpg

Attachments

• rosetta_small.jpg
    rosetta_small.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for all the help, less than 2 weeks to go now. What is the best source of information on what birds are around? I will have a couple of hours in the Bayside area of Miami, any sites close by for Anis or other species?

One site to consider is Orlando Wetlands which is about half way to Merritt Island. I have had good luck in getting Black-bellied Whistling Ducks there. For good directions, and many other bird sites, get yourself a copy of the Florida Birding Trail booklet for that area. You can even download a copy. Just "Google" Florida Birding Trail.

I spent some time at the Orlando Wetlands last year. What a respite from the crowds at Disney. I had a great outing there. Some birds of note; Bald Eagle, Sand Hill Crane, Anhinga, Least Bittern, Limpkin, Pileated Woodpecker, American Bittern, Red Shoulder Hawk. These were in April. Enjoy!

Well nearly there, we fly tomorrow morning. If all goes well with my wifi connection in Florida I'll post a trip report day by day.
Thanks again for the assistance and perhaps I'll meet some of you in the next two weeks

I live on Merritt Island so I know the area. If I were you I would skip MINWR and spend a day at viera wetlands. Sure MINWR is good but Viera wetlands is GREAT. At Viera Wetlands there are super high densities of wildlife, Bald Eagles, Caracaras, Harriers, Hawks, cormorats, anhingas....ETC all within a 150 acre area.
P.S. you can drive the entire time, and you can get close to the animals if you use your car as a blind.
Best of luck
Alex

Thanks for the tip, I will be spending tomorrow afternoon birding (business trip to Orlando). I will check out Viera Wetlands as it is closer to the airport.

Ed

Best of luck
Alex

Alex, thanks so much for the tip on Viera Wetlands, what a great spot!
I only had a couple hours, but that was plenty to get my first Caracara, Tri-colored Heron and an Alligator along with many of the usual suspects such as Glossy Ibis, Wood Stork, etc.

A few photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/edteune/VieraWetlandsFlorida

Ed

I've now seen most of my larger target species but very little by way of warblers etc. I also need a site as close as possible to Kissimmee for Burrowing Owl. All help appreciated

You are a bit early for Warblers.

I have never seen Burrowing Owls near Kissimmee but I have a book "A Birder's Guide to Florida" that lists them at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park which is near Sebring.

You are a bit early for Warblers.

I have never seen Burrowing Owls near Kissimmee but I have a book "A Birder's Guide to Florida" that lists them at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park which is near Sebring.

My experience is the same as Bob's - I don't know of any reliable places near Kissimmee for these owls and the nearest is KPP. Despite the name, though, it is quite some distance from the town of Kissimmee. The quickest route would be down the Turnpike, but - depending on your exact starting point - you can expect that to be around 100 miles.

On the upside, KPP gives you the chance of Fl Grasshopper Sparrow, Bachman's Sparrow, White-Tailed Kite as well as Burrowing Owl (regular in the paddocks to the left of the main entrance at KPP, but often very distant).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back