• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird house question help (1 Viewer)

Dariusz klos

Hi guys! I am want to get rid of my shed tomorrow but I have on it a bird house with new chicks. Can I unscrew the birdhouse and move it behind the shed on the house brick wall? I don’t want to chicks to be abandoned? Is it safe to move it ? Many thanks for answers

Hi guys! I am want to get rid of my shed tomorrow but I have on it a bird house with new chicks. Can I unscrew the birdhouse and move it behind the shed on the house brick wall? I don’t want to chicks to be abandoned? Is it safe to move it ? Many thanks for answers

I would say that, unfortunately, if you move the bird box there's every chance that the chicks might be abandoned. It'd be much safer for them to wait until they've fledged if you can, but I appreciate you probably have a window of opportunity tomorrow. And moving it just behind might be ok, but obviously there will be all the noise and disturbance while you're taking down the shed, which isn't going to help the adults to want to feed the relocated birds... Probably not the answer you want to hear, but that'd be my take on the situation. Hope you can postpone!

Hi Dariusz and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Garden Birds forum, where you're more likely to get the information you need; and also subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily.

My view is no... you cannot move the nest box at this stage without the adults abandoning the chicks. You don't say what species they are, but many will not lay another clutch this summer, so their season will be lost.

Can you not wait another week or 10 days (depends on the species) till the youngsters have fledged?

Hi again Dariusz - thank you so much for deciding to wait.

It's not easy to answer your question without knowing the species. For example, Blue Tits take about 18-21 days from hatching; Blackbirds approximately 2 weeks. But you don't say when they hatched

If you could try and get a picture of the adult/s we can quickly advise you on that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back