Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD review

Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 11:50   #76
chris6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Hi Chris

When I go for a local walk I go through a housing estate to an old bridle track that is actually an old drovers sunken track. It goes through open fields around the estate and gives some nice views of places where rooks, jackdaws and woodpigeons forage and has the usual finches and tits in the hedgerows. Across the fields to the south I saw a fox a few weeks ago as it squeezed through a hedge to flop down in the sunshine on the other side, watched amiably by some sheep.

My companion on these walks is often the Meopta. Its a pleasure to use and tucks into my jacket as I walk through the estate.

Last year on the Isle of Uist for 3 weeks, as an experiment I took only 32s and I didn't feel deprived at all. Some might say I was depraved rather than deprived but I am used to that

I really recommend having a 32 available and I can see myself drifting more towards this more compact size in future years.

Lee
Lee

You do make a very good case and agree that the 8x32 provides a very pleasant experience, the relatively short eye relief matching my glasses perfectly as with 12x50, to allow the image to fill the view.

Great to see a fox behaving like that. We used to have a tin pig shed on the edge of a field, next to an old badger set occupied by foxes. You could lie on its roof and watch the cubs mucking about right below.

Chris
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 13:30   #77
Troubador

How marvellous Chris. I was chuffed to bits to watch the fox a couple of fields away. A few weeks before Christmas I dropped off my bro in law at a hospital for a routine visit and had to queue to get off the site in my car. Crowds of people also queued to cross the road through the queue of cars that was in and waiting with them was a fox, sitting down and when the traffic/pedestrian lights changed it stood up and crossed the road with everybody. Nobody took any notice of it and to be frank it was badly affected by mange so had lost a lot of fur. But it was still amazing to see it sitting and waiting to cross the road. Foxes can recover from mange so I hope this one did. The one in the field was in fabulous condition.

Lee
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 17:44   #78
chris6

Let's hope it had been receiving treatment at the dermatology dept. but mange is a horrible disease.

Chris

Last edited by chris6 : Tuesday 13th March 2018 at 20:57. Reason: deletion
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 22:53   #79
chris6

Lee

This has got me wondering about Meostar B1 32mm again, or even Zeiss FL 32mm.

Would go for 10x and a new pair this time but no great reductions showing at the moment. Also noted that ER for Meostar 10x is sometimes mentioned as 13mm or 15mm. However it's "16.3mm" for 10x32 cf. "15.5mm" for 8x32 on both meopta and Viking websites.

In practice ER for the 8x32 was just sufficient for me, so 13 or even 15 might not be enough, while the larger figure of "16.3" might seem less likely to be correct for 10x32...am I muddling something up or is that right?

Last edited by chris6 : Tuesday 13th March 2018 at 22:55.
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 06:05   #80
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6 View Post
Lee

This has got me wondering about Meostar B1 32mm again, or even Zeiss FL 32mm.

Would go for 10x and a new pair this time but no great reductions showing at the moment. Also noted that ER for Meostar 10x is sometimes mentioned as 13mm or 15mm. However it's "16.3mm" for 10x32 cf. "15.5mm" for 8x32 on both meopta and Viking websites.

In practice ER for the 8x32 was just sufficient for me, so 13 or even 15 might not be enough, while the larger figure of "16.3" might seem less likely to be correct for 10x32...am I muddling something up or is that right?
Chris
The eye relief figure is an optical concept being the height of the exit pupil above the top eyepiece lens. It doesn't take into account the amount of this distance 'lost' inside the eyecup. So you can only use the ER figure as a rough guide not as a definitive statement. You don't mention if you wear spectacles but if you do thats another complicating factor and face shapes and eyes that bulge at one extreme or are sunken at the other extreme mean that ER figures are for some folks a very rough guide indeed.

You need to try them out.

I would be hard pressed to choose between the FL and the MeoStar 8x32s but if threatened would favour the Zeiss for absolute performance. Put value for money into the equation and the Meopta wins.

Lee
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 07:23   #81
chris6

Right Lee, I understand that and do wear glasses, but it seems odd that Meostar 10x32 is quoted by Meopta itself as having more ER than its own 8x32 version. Will also post a question separately and write to Meoptaman but thanks for your comments.

Last edited by chris6 : Wednesday 14th March 2018 at 07:42. Reason: addition
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: