• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frogs x5 found dead inmy garden. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

This last week I have found 5 frogs dead in my garden, 2 during the week and this morning 3 on a lawn in separate areas. They have had their head or legs bitten off in all but one frog. I am wondering a cat or hedgehog may be the predator, I do have foxes visit during night time hours.

The fish pond in my garden has never been overrun with frogs, maybe that is a good thing in light of what is happening.
I will this evening and for the next few evenings set a couple of camera traps by the pond and lawn.

Thoughts anyone?

I would have expected a Fox to have eaten all of the frog. You say that heads/legs were bitten off but not whether they were eaten or left lying around. a cat probably would just kill + play with them + not bother eating them.

Other than the predators you mention rats, Crows + Magpies may also kill + eat frogs in a garden.

A couple of years ago a fox did something very similar in my sister's garden - I only knew because I was trying out a trail camera.

i would have thought cats but i have seen jack russell terriers do similar when they came across a frog migration.

Thank you all for your replies.

I would have expected a Fox to have eaten all of the frog. You say that heads/legs were bitten off but not whether they were eaten or left lying around. a cat probably would just kill + play with them + not bother eating them.

Other than the predators you mention rats, Crows + Magpies may also kill + eat frogs in a garden.

I had 2 Foxes in my garden last night, visiting separately, caught on camera. I would also have expected a Fox to have eaten all of the frog. The heads and legs were eaten and not left around. I have my doubts with it being a cat.
Magpies and Crows were in my thoughts too, especially so the Magpies. of course I cannot rule out a rat though I have not seen any signs of one, not to say there isn't one of course.

I am going to set the cameras up now. I will update with any news tomorrow.

I'm thinking Mustelid here, Mink, Polecat or even Otter. All of them are recorded as exhibiting this kind of behaviour with amphibians, I think because the high densities associated with amphibian mating season blow their minds into overstimulation of the hunting response. I'd have thought with a West Midlands location any of these are possible.

I shall be interested to hear the results of the camera trap sessions.

John

I took a Frog out of a mist net last week! Left there by a Tawny Owl - it was whole and just about alive, but later succumbed.

Cat or cats,

Crows + Magpies may also kill + eat frogs in a garden.

A couple of years ago a fox did something very similar in my sister's garden.

i have seen jack russell terriers do similar when they came across a frog migration.

I cannot rule out a rat.

I'm thinking Mustelid here, Mink, Polecat or even Otter.

I took a Frog out of a mist net last week! Left there by a Tawny Owl.

I think the accumulated answer is 'don't know' :)

I think the accumulated answer is 'don't know' :)

A good observation Jos!|^|;)

The 'mini beast from the east' swept through our region overnight and blanketed my garden with snow hence not a single animal track to be seen!
I have checked the SD cards, snow falling and nothing else in view!
I will persevere throughout the week and update if there is any news.

Attachments

• P1080620.JPG
    P1080620.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 86
A couple of suspects caught on camera last night!

I know which one my money's on!

Attachments

• MDTC6749.JPG
    MDTC6749.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 138
  • MDTC6751.JPG
    MDTC6751.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 139
My neighbour has also had a decapitated frog on her lawn, so the suspect 'Tawny Owl' has been doing the rounds by the sound of it!

No way would the green-hatted gnome be responsible, though I must admit that he isn't doing a very good job of protecting the garden!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back