• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your pick, best bino harness you came to? (1 Viewer)

Its pretty easy to make a harness almost identical to the RYUL for just a few pounds/dollars using shock-cord, cord grips and a bit of ingenuity!

For a protective rig, I've used the Miggo 'strap & wrap' which is the solution adopted by Leica for the new Trinovid HD. If you opt for the Miggo, be aware that it only just takes a Swarovski 8x32, despite the marketing blurb saying it fits all roof prism binoculars up to 10x42!

RB

I have one of those Miggo, yes won't take a large bino, could be the reason they recently discontinued it, Adarama has them for only $20, they are nice for what they are and made exactly like the Lecia model down to the stitching.

Attachments

• mwsrbnh25bb_2.jpg
    mwsrbnh25bb_2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 90
  • mwsrbnh25bb_3.jpg
    mwsrbnh25bb_3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 70
Might be worthwhile to bite the bullet on the Strap Loop Connector. IMO, regardless which one you choose, harnesses increase my overall satisfaction with carrying binoculars several fold.
(I have two pair of Steiners with proprietary neckstrap connector systems, one of which I'm looking to replace. The connector systems are not cheap, but I imagine the Swaros are even pricier).

They sent me the connections for free so I can now use a normal harness when I want to.

Another fan of the RYO harness here. I'm just sorry I didn't buy several at once to get the discount as I ended up buying 4 before I was done. I have them on all the binoculars I regularly use ranging in size from 8x30 to 9x45 and ranging in weight from 16 oz to 33 oz. I find them very easy to adjust and very comfortable to wear. When wearing it the binocular seems to disappear, and when I put the binocular away I wrap the harness around the center hinge so the harness seems to disappear. It takes up almost no space stored that way.

Alan

Another fan of the RYO harness here. I'm just sorry I didn't buy several at once to get the discount as I ended up buying 4 before I was done. I have them on all the binoculars I regularly use ranging in size from 8x30 to 9x45 and ranging in weight from 16 oz to 33 oz. I find them very easy to adjust and very comfortable to wear. When wearing it the binocular seems to disappear, and when I put the binocular away I wrap the harness around the center hinge so the harness seems to disappear. It takes up almost no space stored that way.

Alan

That's a great endorsement and very convincing review :t:

I also use the RY harness and like it a lot! I didn't like the metal key rings though and modified it using some op-tech parts. See pictures. Even better now :t:

As I did away with the quick release clips, it can't be removed quickly any more. But since it is so light and flexible, I never felt the need to do so.

Attachments

• 20180523_233520.jpg
    20180523_233520.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180523_233600.jpg
    20180523_233600.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 20180523_234906.jpg
    20180523_234906.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I also use the RY harness and like it a lot! I didn't like the metal key rings though and modified it using some op-tech parts. See pictures. Even better now :t:

As I did away with the quick release clips, it can't be removed quickly any more. But since it is so light and flexible, I never felt the need to do so.

That's my only complaint about most systems that use a METAL RING right near the binoculars tubes and I would also do a mod to get rid of the METAL RINGS
Good job:t:

Its not strictly speaking a harness, but I use the Swazi bino beret - works well and does ease some pressure off the neck while offering some welcome protection.

As far as connections for a Rick Young harness:
i used Optech connectors through the strap lugs of the binoculars, and the smallest S-Biner lockable clips through them and connecting to the harness. I've set that up on my three main bins now, and works a treat.
I like the idea of the shower cap as a rain guard!

The modifications on my bins.

Attachments

• P1100340.JPG
    P1100340.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 112
  • P1100342.JPG
    P1100342.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
If you must have the best bino bra out there with a view to max' protection look no further than FHF:

https://youtu.be/U2R_xatQlrw

I have one for my 8X56 Zeiss Night Owls and it works but there isn't a harness made that won't become uncomfortable at some stage and particularly in Summer.

LGM
Ps: Full camo is optional!

There is a design conflict for these harnesses.
Anything snug enough to hold the binoculars tight while bouncing around in an ATV will also be tight enough to chafe while squirming through the brush. So I've eliminated chest harnesses from consideration, after repeated disappointments.
An effective design would be easily cinched tight when needed, but otherwise relaxed. It should also be easy to wear and compatible with both heavy winter as well as lightweight summer clothing.
The various suspender type harnesses are good for comfort in my experience, but are a bother to put on and don't handle ATV rides well.
A belt clip with a shoulder strap seems to be favored by the big lens crowd, but I've not seen any such offering aimed at binocular users.
New ideas are needed.

Call is redneck, fugly, or whatever else you'd like, but I use zip ties as my connectors. Rick Young harness would be the best I've used.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Call is redneck, fugly, or whatever else you'd like, but I use zip ties as my connectors. Rick Young harness would be the best I've used.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
+1 on zip ties. I have also used 1.75mm Dyneema cord (Lash-It is the product name).

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back