Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Red Kite shot in E.Yorks/Wolds

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 12:32   #1
liverpool_bob
scarce migrant to yorkshire

Red Kite shot in E.Yorks/Wolds

One of the Red Kites in the Wolds has been shot, but survived - Driffield Times article

Cheers,
Bob.
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 15:23   #2
mike from ebbw

For cryin` out loud is this cr*p ever going to end?
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 15:31   #3
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike from ebbw View Post
For cryin` out loud is this cr*p ever going to end?
No....
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 23:28   #4
Andy in West Oz
Now of the east!

There's a lot of talk about shooting/hunting being part of the culture in places like Malta, Cyprus, Kuwait etc. However, it seems to me, an observer from afar, that the shootings that occur in the UK really can only be put down to lack of education on the role of the bird or protecting a population of gamebirds that don't seem to really need protecting due to their numbers compared to raptors.

Is this perhaps a generalistic, uninformed grouse-wise comment to make?!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th July 2008, 07:48   #5
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in West Oz View Post
There's a lot of talk about shooting/hunting being part of the culture in places like Malta, Cyprus, Kuwait etc. However, it seems to me, an observer from afar, that the shootings that occur in the UK really can only be put down to lack of education on the role of the bird or protecting a population of gamebirds that don't seem to really need protecting due to their numbers compared to raptors.

Is this perhaps a generalistic, uninformed grouse-wise comment to make?!
Yeah, there is no way the parties involved are unaware of (a) the law or (b) the mass of educational material including mass media explaining kites' feeding habits.

Shooters believe that BOP massacre their quarry in the same way that some people remain convinced the Earth is flat or that creation took seven days and a big bloke with a massive shovel.

John
Old Sunday 13th July 2008, 19:04   #6
John Olley
Harrier Olley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Yeah, there is no way the parties involved are unaware of (a) the law or (b) the mass of educational material including mass media explaining kites' feeding habits.

Shooters believe that BOP massacre their quarry in the same way that some people remain convinced the Earth is flat or that creation took seven days and a big bloke with a massive shovel.

John
Well said John emotions can run high but the slaughter must be publicised as it is.

John.
Old Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 15:13   #7
Isurus

The sad thing is I think a lot of shooters would probably be as happy at a slightly decreased bag when shooting and a harrier/kite/eagle sighting as they would with just a lot of grouse/pheasants/partridge if not more so......and yet these people show a sort of nelsonian blindness to what gamekeepers and estate controllers do. I really do believe a compromise is possible and necessary but it needs those who put cash into the shooting industry to take a long ahrd look at themselves and who they give their money to.

edited to add - I'm not suggesting incidentally that more BoP = less game birds just pointing out that I think even if it did people's may not mind.
Old Thursday 7th August 2008, 18:03   #8
John B (not the sloop)
Don't blame me I didn't vote for 'em

I've tried to keep an open mind about the merits of grouse shooting for years ago but I'm coming down on the side of total ban with draconian penalties and total seizure/nationalisation of shooting estates.

Or does that seem a bit half hearted........?
Old Thursday 7th August 2008, 21:37   #9
John Olley
Harrier Olley

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B (not the sloop) View Post
I've tried to keep an open mind about the merits of grouse shooting for years ago but I'm coming down on the side of total ban with draconian penalties and total seizure/nationalisation of shooting estates.

Your not far from the what should happen John but our government is toothless and has little fight in them to go up against the proprietors of bird of prey slaughter which is happening over the commercial grouse moors. I personally feel that most designations given to much of the uplands are weak and to say that many areas are the last wilderness in England is not justified we should see a wholescale movement to wildness which is managed firstly for wildlife then shooting through license only secondary.

John.
Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 01:05   #10
totaljohn
man-e-faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B (not the sloop) View Post

i agree with this too pretty much. i also wanted to post in the thread because it'll mean there's now four johns in it

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: