• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amber Gamblers. (1 Viewer)

Bea

For the second year Blackbirds have built a nest in traffic lights near Leeds, this time in the amber light. I noticed the beginnings of the nest while on my way to the supermarket about 10 days since and now she is sitting on it. These lights are at a busy road junction. I think the highways dept left them to it last year so I hope they manage to fledge safely, considering the precarious position.

I managed to take a photo and wish I could post it but my darned "pre-used" computer won't have it.

For the second year Blackbirds have built a nest in traffic lights near Leeds, this time in the amber light. I noticed the beginnings of the nest while on my way to the supermarket about 10 days since and now she is sitting on it. These lights are at a busy road junction. I think the highways dept left them to it last year so I hope they manage to fledge safely, considering the precarious position.

I managed to take a photo and wish I could post it but my darned "pre-used" computer won't have it.

Hi Bea

Your story shows how Blackbirds are very comfortable living and breeding in built up areas. They seem to like to take huge risks too. The biggest risk I see is their low flying across a road - I hate the way they do that. Must be built in incase they are on a Sparrrowhawks menu. :t:

Like you, I hope the blackbirds raise their youngsters and everything goes according to plan for them. Hope that the Highway dept do not mind them once again, too much, as long as they do not block the lights.

Tell us how they fair in the coming weeks. If you manage to get your pictures downloaded - I for one would love to see them anyday :t:

Love your title to this thread, LOL ;)

Last edited:
Silly birds! Shame you can't share the photos. Keep us up to date on how the birds get on.

How wonderful, Bea! Guess that there must be some added warmth as well as security there. We have Woodies nesting in the roof of the Tesco car park down here and last year there were a couple of CDs too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back