• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tethering rain guard for old pair of Zeiss bins (2 Viewers)

I have had my Zeiss 7X42 binoculars for close to 30 years and have never figured out how to tether the rain guard so that is will stay in place while walking in the field, but be readily moveable when a bird pops up. I tried looping a small strap from one of the slots in the rain guard to the main strap, but there is nothing holding the guard on, and it tends to just fall off the eye pieces.

Anybody have any suggestions? My rain guard is the original one with 3 slots on each side of the guard for attaching to something. I'm not sure what.

You should attach both sides of the rain guard, rather than one, but leaving enough slack in the straps to allow it to fall below chin level when the binoculars are brought to the eyes. It works very well for me in the field.

Ed

Attachments

• Zeiss Rain  guard.JPG
    Zeiss Rain guard.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
You should attach both sides of the rain guard, rather than one, but leaving enough slack in the straps to allow it to fall below chin level when the binoculars are brought to the eyes. It works very well for me in the field.

Ed
Never new that my friend. Simple when you see it. Thanks

I agree; should be tethered at both ends to stop it flapping about & getting in the way. If you use a couple of lengths of shock cord carefully cut to length & looped through rainguard & strap lugs, sufficient tension can be employed to keep the guard on securely when in use. A quick flick of the thumb when raising your binocular will be enough to displace it and ... voila! A bit of trial & error may be involved in getting the loops just the right length for it to work.

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back