• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 new 8x30 and 10x30 (1 Viewer)

fkrow

Nikon will have release to USA for mid Sept two new Monarch 7 models.

8x30
FOV 437ft
ER 15.1mm
15.3 oz

10x30
FOV 352ft
ER 15.8mm
15.5 oz

I recently purchased the Monarch 7 in 10x42 after checking out $1,000+ Swaro, Zeiss and several other brands. The increase in performance was so small, it made the Monarch 7 a great choice. Very sharp and bright in the field, very small edge fall off in sharpness.

I also have several poro designs, Nikon 8x30 purchased new in the 1970's (pre dates the 8x30 EII upgrades, same bino), Steiner 8x30 IF and Leupold 9x35 IF from the 1990's. Wanted to try using the latest design with waterproof construction. The only poro that is similar in performance relative to the new Monarch 7 is the Leupold 9x35 IF. The Nikon 8x30 is very sharp but lacks brightness.

Regards,
FK

This is news! Thanks for posting this and Welcome to Bird Forum!

They are shown on Nikon's website:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/7579/MONARCH-7-8x30.html

This should prove interesting! FMC with ED glass in them too!

Tech specs of 314.9' FOV @ 1000 yards doesn't match the Real and Apparent Angular FOV that is stated there in which is more like 430'@1000yards.

In the price range of the Zeiss TerraED.

Bob

Last edited:
The Nikon site and B&H Photo have conflicting data on FOV,, someone has a typo error.

If for the 8x30, angular FOV is 8.3* then the FOV at 1000yds cannot be 314.9ft ?

Similar odd numbers on the 10x30 FOV specs.

Regards,
FK

Right, I think the Nikon site has an error on the 8x30. The Real and Apparent FOVs given there are likely correct. The 10x30 should be 351.75 if the Real AFOV is 6.7º. It's curious that the eye relief is also slightly longer on the 10x30.

Bob

Last edited:
I had a look at the preproduction samples Nikon had on their stand at the UK BirdsFair yesterday. I liked the 8x30 in particular a lot. The sweet spot was very sharp and reasonably broad, some field curvature with significant softening and CA at the edges, but with that FOV in such a small bino I thought it quite impressive. The 15.1mm ER was fine with my glasses. They hope to start shipping next month.

Kite Optics jointly developed the model and theirs apparently has another 7ft view and possibly a different grade of ED glass and, by the sounds of it, a higher price.

I hope the production version is a good as the one I tried.

The Nikon specification from the UK brochure.
8x30
FOV 8.3*, 145m
Angular FOV 60.3*
ER 15.1mm
Close focus 2m
IPD 56-72mm
Weight 435g
Length 119mm

10x30
FOV 6.7*, 117m
Angular FOV 60.7*
ER 15.8mm
Close focus 2m
Weight 440g
Length 119mm

David

The Traveller takes some beating for build quality and weight, but the little Nikon I tried is in a different league optically IMO.

David

The more relevant and interesting comparison IMO is going to be to the Zen-Ray ZRS HD 32mm models, which are also pint sized and weigh under 16oz but have wide FOV (not quite as wide as these M7's) and DE coatings and on paper should be very close for $150 less money. The Zens don't have ED glass, off axis CA was a bit of weakness on the one I had, but it is quite sharp on axis and bright and nicely built and in other respects seems like a real direct competitor.

For the extra cash you get ED glass and the wider FOV and a little better brand cachet. Probably nicer quality rubber armor, and a superior focus knob (Nikon really knows how to make a cheaper bin have a nice feeling focuser).

Last edited:
Sold my Bushnell Excursion 8x28 and replaced it with the Meostar 8x32, mainly because of its focus direction. The M7's sound very interesting, in particular their weight is something to consider. If they are messing around with Kite I can bet the 32's have anticlockwise focusers.
In fact I sort of hope they are, since I would like to settle down with what I have, and I won't be able to rest until I know they're not made for me.

//L

Last edited:
Yup, can't wait to see this one. The ER sounds like it's cut pretty close for those with glasses, but if it works...well, I'm interested.

Mark

Sold my Bushnell Excursion 8x28 and replaced it with the Meostar 8x32, mainly because of its focus direction. The M7's sound very interesting, in particular their weight is something to consider. If they are messing around with Kite I can bet the 32's have anticlockwise focusers.
In fact I sort of hope they are, since I would like to settle down with what I have, and I won't be able to rest until I know they're not made for me.

//L

Sorry Lars, as usual I was oblivious to the focus direction. I really must make a mental note to remember such things.

By chance I picked up an Excursion 8x28 on the Bushnell stand a little later, just because I was surprised to see it there. A bit of a bargain at the sell off price but the Nikon, seemed smaller, had a wider view, bigger sweet spot, much cleaner colours, and significantly sharper. I didn't retry the Meopta that day so I won't comment on the view comparison. It's still an ergonomic favourite of mine. The Nikon is smaller, maybe too small for some, and half the price.

Of course there may be differences with the production model.

David

Wow! I might wait for a few user reviews from fellow eyeglass wearers about the eye relief, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Looksharp65, my hope is that your hopes don´t come true, about the focus direction.;)
Very interested in these bins - if the direction is right!

Looksharp65, my hope is that your hopes don´t come true, about the focus direction.;)
Very interested in these bins - if the direction is right!

I'd frankly love every binocular to focus clockwise out, but it's my good fortune they don't. That would remove any barrier keeping me from getting ruined.
But I would be very surprised if the M7 32's do.

//L

The new Prostaff 7 and Monarch 7 both focus -- close to infinity in Clockwise direction.

Both are very smooth with zero backlash or slack when changing direction of rotation.

Regards,
FK

The new Prostaff 7 and Monarch 7 both focus -- close to infinity in Clockwise direction.

Both are very smooth with zero backlash or slack when changing direction of rotation.

Regards,
FK

Thanks FK,

I know that's true for the 42 mm M7's but we'll see about the 32's once they hit the shelves. All Kite models that I've tried focus anticlockwise.

//L

Kite Optics jointly developed the model and theirs apparently has another 7ft view and possibly a different grade of ED glass and, by the sounds of it, a higher price.

Hi, do you remember how they were called? Any info on these available yet?

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back