• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perpignan and Canary Islands (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

This was at perpignan area near the Pyrenees. The birds of prey were the same hoilday and I have no idea. The Smaller pinkish bird was from the Canary Islands.

Attachments

• Copy of 14 she 290.jpg
    Copy of 14 she 290.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 229
  • BOP.jpg
    BOP.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Canary Island.jpg
    Canary Island.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 218
I'd agree that the wing profile is quite classic for a Griffon flying away from the observer but the head looks much better for a (young) Lammergeier to me. More photos may be help.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I have some other pictures not at the same time but of a group of birds ain a valley near the mountain base. Maybe these might help.I will send them tonight. Are we all agreed on the other two

Thanks guys I have some other pictures not at the same time but of a group of birds ain a valley near the mountain base. Maybe these might help.I will send them tonight. Are we all agreed on the other two

a group of birds (vultures) surely are griffons in the pyrenees.

100% Griffon Vulture for me, from head to tail, nothing wrong in shape, a far from typical Lammergeier jizz.

Even with the vageries that photos and lighting can produce in pictures like this one, I can't see how the dark and light areas on the head and the bill shape could be produced as here on a Griffon photo. Saying that, there have been more than a few deceiving photos on here! I agree completely on the jizz not fitting for a Lammergeier and being better for Griffon. On my first look, on the thumbnail, the pointy bill even made me think; maybe Egyptian Vulture (because of the bill) but it obviously isn't. Happy to leave it though, just wanted to explain my thoughts and if all say Griffon, that's fine :t:

I stand by my original assertion, but I will add that on balance, it is surely more likely that somebody would encounter Griffon vulture than Lammergeier at almost any site in Europe given their respective populations (580-790 V's 32,400 - 34,400). That's not to say that it is completely out of the question for any person (irrespective of their abilities and/or experience) to photograph a rarity in place of something more mundane, but perhaps it is best to err on the side of caution. I've no idea with the OP's skill set (though a quick search reveals they required confirmation for a sum-plum Spot-shank - not meant in a critical manner, just observational), but without info on behaviour in the field, it is surely likely to be the commoner option.

Not necessarily in the Pyrenees; all four vultures in that region form mixed flocks at / close to feeding stations.

Are you sure? I never seen a Monk V in the Pyrenees, and I do not remember more than 2-3 Lammegeier at any one location. That does not mean that mixed flocks do not occur, but that the majority of birds in a large flock (if not all) are going to be Griffon.

Niels

I stand by my original assertion, but I will add that on balance, it is surely more likely that somebody would encounter Griffon vulture than Lammergeier at almost any site in Europe given their respective populations (580-790 V's 32,400 - 34,400). That's not to say that it is completely out of the question for any person (irrespective of their abilities and/or experience) to photograph a rarity in place of something more mundane, but perhaps it is best to err on the side of caution. I've no idea with the OP's skill set (though a quick search reveals they required confirmation for a sum-plum Spot-shank - not meant in a critical manner, just observational), but without info on behaviour in the field, it is surely likely to be the commoner option.

Agree, though on a 7 day trip to the central Pyrenees we saw Lammergeier every day at least once or twice - though we were trying hard ;)

Are you sure? I never seen a Monk V in the Pyrenees, and I do not remember more than 2-3 Lammegeier at any one location. That does not mean that mixed flocks do not occur, but that the majority of birds in a large flock (if not all) are going to be Griffon.

Niels

I agree, though Eur.Black/Monk Vulture does occur nowadays in the southern Pyrenees with some regularity, though occasional.

Niels
Yep - went to one of the feeding stations last spring, had about 300+ Griffons, among which also 6 Black Vultures (derived from reintroduction scheme, but including 2nd generation wild-bred birds), 7-8 Lammergeier, and 3-4 Egyptian :t:

Agree the great majority will be Griffons, but an unidentified "odd-one-out" will always attract a birder's attention and get asked for IDs ;)

I am definitely no expert.
It's just I thought maybe just maybe the "masked" face of the Lammergeier can be seen on the photo in question. If anyone has thoughts on this it would be appreciated
Please see blow up of the face of this bird photo.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back