• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oklahoma's baby birds in trouble (1 Viewer)

RNWPHOTO

Registered Member
All the young songbirds in Oklahoma are suffering and perishing because, not only are the storms brutalizing the young birds,
the parent birds are unable to find them food.
The Oklahoma storms have washed the insects and caterpillars into the rivers and lakes.
It will be a good year for all the fish, not so much for the birds.
This couldn't have happened at a worse time for them.
The whole month of May has been a disaster for baby birds. We are faced with losing an entire generation of birds.
The wonderful people at Rainbow Mealworm Co. have donated 10,000 mealworms to us so we can feed as many young birds as we can. They need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
For those of us who are used to tapering off on feeding during the summer, this would be a good year to change that routine and feed more heavily than usual during this summer. My feeder traffic has been unusually heavy in the last week. Even here in the Kansas City area the rains have been constant enough to interrupt normal feeding and the raising of young. I know of several nests that were washed out or fell with limbs in our immediate area.

So sorry to hear of all this we have "here" have had a belly full of bad weather more wind and rain as normal but May can be a beautiful month as well as unsettled same as april but this year we had a lovely april,
I do hope some fledgelings get through the Wild spell your haveing there best of luck on that..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back