• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mauritius/Reunion Parakeet (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I was looking at the Opus entry for Mauritius Parakeet when I wondered about Birdlife using Psittacula eques for this species when all other sources used Psittacula echo. A search in Avibase told me that they consider Psittacula eques the name for Reunion Parakeet (extinct species without a specimen), one that is not found in Clements checklist (not even under extinct species). It looks like Birdlife considers the two populations (the current Mauritius one and the extingt Reunion island one) as the same species with P eques as taking precedent as scientific name. A search in Google Scholar produces plenty of hits for Psittacula eques, so what is actually correct here?

thanks
Niels

Niels,

In Fuller 2001 (Extinct birds):

A description given during the eighteenth century by Boddaert of a bird that he calls Psittacula eques provides a fairly good exemple of the difficulty that past generations of ornithologists made for themselves. His name and his description is based on a plate, no.215, in E. L. Daubenton’s Planches enluminées (1783) and this plate appears to be drawn in turn from a brief written account given by the traveller known as Le Sieur Dubois (1674) and perhaps a specimen (now lost) in the Cabinet Aubry, Paris. Dubois’s passing mention is assumed to indicate the former existence of a distinct parakeet belonging to the ring-necked group on the Mascarene island of Réunion. The source and the assumptions made from it are, of course, far too vague to be of any real value but the form has now become gratuitously mixed up in the synonymy of the rare Mauritius parakeet Psittacula echo – a bird that has a very clear and definite identity.

Daniel

Raisin at al

Raisin, Frantz, Kundu, Greenwood, Jones, Zuel & Groombridge (in press). Genetic consequences of intensive conservation management for the Mauritius parakeet. Conserv Genet. [abstract]
I was looking at the Opus entry for Mauritius Parakeet when I wondered about Birdlife using Psittacula eques for this species when all other sources used Psittacula echo.
Incidentally, the name of Echo Parakeet was changed from Psittacula echo to P eques in IOC World Bird List v2.11 (Jan 2012), citing Cheke & Hume 2008 (Lost Land of the Dodo):
www.worldbirdnames.org/updates-tax.html

Last edited:
The change from echo to eques was made following my recommendation to David Donsker, editor of the IOC World Bird List. Here is what I wrote to him in December:

Brisson (1760), Buffon (1779), Mauduyt (1784), and Levaillant (1805) described a Psittacula parakeet from Réunion (it's likely several live birds reached Paris in the late 1700s) indistinguishable (from their descriptions) from P. echo, which Boddaert (1783) named Psittacula eques. No skins or fossils exist (an enigmatic skin in Edinburgh may represent P.eques, but its provenance is uncertain, and the bird may have originated in Mauritius), but there is a very fine illustration of this bird by Barraband in Levaillant (1805). No distinct differences between eques and echo are apparent in Barraband's illustration, indicating that eques and echo were conspecific, perhaps not even subspecifically distinct.

A. Newton and E. Newton named the Echo Parakeet Palaeornis echo in 1876 (Ibis, 1876, p. 284):

"A smaller species of Parrot [than Lophopsittacus mauritianus] - commonly known as Paleornis eques - still survives in Mauritius, but its numbers are gradually failing, though in the district of Grand Port, where the monkeys have been thinned, it seems to be enjoying a transient prosperity...

Here it is to be remarked that the specific term eques, conferred by Boddaert on the subject figured in the 'Planches Enluminées' (No. 215), properly belongs to the Parrakeet of Réunion - the bird there represented being called "Perruche de l'Ile de Bourbon," whence De Buffon (Hist. Nat. Ois. vi. p. 144) expressly says it was brought, identifying it also with the "Perruche à collier de l'Isle de Bourbon" of Brisson (Orn. iv. p. 328, pl. xxvii. fig. 1), who likewise states that it is found there. It no longer inhabits Réunion, and whether a specimen from that locality anywhere exists is not known to us. Judging from the general dissimilarity of the avifauna of that island and of Mauritius, we should be inclined to suppose that each had its peculiar Palaeornis; and, in the event of this being found to be the case, we would venture to suggest the term echo being applied to the Mauritian bird, which, no doubt, answers in nearly all particulars to the true eques."

A footnote, in Greek and Latin, explains the derivation of the word echo:

Ἠχὼ, nympha quaedam, imitatrix equitis - sc. Narcissi. Ov. Meta,. iii. 380.

Psittacula echo was therefore named after the wood nymph Echo, because it was an imitator of eques. Although no type specimen is named, on the previous page, Newton mentions that Finsch's description of eques in v.2 of his Die Papageien were based on specimens in Cambridge collected in Mauritius. Note that Newton & Newton named the taxon on the supposition that it differed from eques.

If these parrots are conspecific, then Psittacula eques Boddaert, 1783 has many years priority over Psittacula echo (Newton & Newton 1876). Although Knox & Walters (1994) listed Mauritius Parakeet as Psittacula eques echo, Hume (2007) treated them as separate species. Cheke and Hume (2008) however treated them as conspecific.

-Rick Roe

Last edited:
Is the Reunion Parakeet a subspecies of the Echo Parakeet or it is identical? In that case that would mean that the Reunion Parakeet ist not extinct at all.

Is the Reunion Parakeet a subspecies of the Echo Parakeet or it is identical? In that case that would mean that the Reunion Parakeet ist not extinct at all.
It seems to be a matter of opinion. As Laurent mentioned in post #3, they're treated as specifically distinct by Hume 2007 (p3-4) - but I haven't seen the justification in the complete paper.

PS. Sorry, Hume clearly soon reconsidered: Rick notes that Cheke & Hume 2008 treats them as conspecific.

Last edited:
Wasn't Mauritius Parakeet in the meantime found to be nested within Psittacula krameri?

Not that I have a problem with non-monophyletic species.

Rick, welcome to Birdforum!

Niels
Thank you, Niels!

I joined BirdForum in December and have read just about every new post in the Taxonomy and Nomenclature Forum since then. I look forward to reading them every day.

Figured it was about time I joined the conversation!

- Rick

There is no definitive evidence that the Réunion population of Psittacula eques was subspecifically distinct from the Mauritius population. The Réunion population probably disappeared in the 18th century but the species may be reintroduced to Réunion in the future to ensure its survival.

Last edited:
It seems to be a matter of opinion. As Laurent mentioned in post #3, they're treated as specifically distinct by Hume 2007 (p3-4) - but I haven't seen the justification in the complete paper.

PS. Sorry, Hume clearly soon reconsidered: Rick notes that Cheke & Hume 2008 treats them as conspecific.
Yes, it was Hume (2007) that treated them as different species not Hume (2004,) as I originally posted. My apologies for the slip-up, Richard.

Last edited:
Yes, it was Hume (2007) that treated them as different species not Hume (2004,) as I originally posted. My apologies for the slip-up, Richard.
Rick, my underlining of Hume 2007 was just to indicate the web link, not to highlight any discrepancy - I hadn't even noticed it. And to 'echo' Niels, welcome to BirdForum!

Rick, my underlining of Hume 2007 was just to indicate the web link, not to highlight any discrepancy - I hadn't even noticed it. And to 'echo' Niels, welcome to BirdForum!
No, I realize that the underlined reference indicated a link, Richard. But seeing the link made me realize I made an error. I try to be as accurate as possible, but to my chagrin, I usually catch my errors only after the email has been sent or the comment posted.

And thank you. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your posts here!

Hume will have an account about the Reunion Parakeet in his upcoming book Extinct Birds (which will be published on 16 February 2012).

Hume will have an account about the Reunion Parakeet in his upcoming book Extinct Birds (which will be published on 16 February 2012).
I'm also writing and illustrating a book on extinct birds. It will be published in 2014, to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the death of the last Passenger Pigeon.

Rick

Hume 2007 pdf

As Laurent mentioned in post #3, they're treated as specifically distinct by Hume 2007 (p3-4) - but I haven't seen the justification in the complete paper.
Hume 2007. Reappraisal of the parrots (Aves: Psittacidae) from the Mascarene Islands, with comments on their ecology, morphology, and affinities. Zootaxa 1513: 1–76. [pdf]
p24: From this illustration, there are few, if any, distinct plumage differences between the Réunion and Mauritius populations, which may have been conspecific. If this can be shown to be the case, either by fossils or skin specimens, the name P. eques has many years priority over P. echo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back