• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

JustinG

Justin
Hello to all in Wales!

Could you report all Green Woodpecker sightings here from anywhere in Wales? The areas I am most interested in is west Wales (Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion) but please could all sightings in Wales of Green Woodpeckers be posted here. Thanks.

Hi Justin. I had one on the mountain road from Rhydyfro to Ammanford and one behind Morriston Hospital. A colleague says he sees them fairly regularly up The Gnoll.

Rich

Thanks Rich for the sightings. If you don't mind, could you drop a comment here if you see/hear of any sightings, I'd really appreciate it. Green Woodpeckers are disappearing quickly, especially in west Wales, so I'm starting a research project into why this is the case.

Thanks Rich. Yes, Dinefwr is quite a strong hold, with the woods and where the deer and cattle keep the turf short. Ant populations must have a big influence, but no one seems to know why they're disappearing. They're pretty much extinct now in Pembrokeshire.

Just spotted those, thanks Rich. Strange that Wendell didn't report any Greens in Dinefwr Park - they're usually around the boardwalk area. It's good to see a Lesser-spotted being recorded though.

... so I'm starting a research project into why this is the case.

Rather than random bird forum sightings, wouldn't it be better to contact county bird recorders throughout Wales and, if they are supportive of the methods and reasons of your project, they might be in a position to encourage far more effective gathering of data.

Rather than random bird forum sightings, wouldn't it be better to contact county bird recorders throughout Wales and, if they are supportive of the methods and reasons of your project, they might be in a position to encourage far more effective gathering of data.

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate it. When I'm in a position to commit my full time and effort, that's what I will do. Currently, I'm not in that position, so I thought asking for sightings in general to start with would be a good thing to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back