• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of What are they? (1 Viewer)

thumb

We live just on the outskirts of town not far from the forests in which we get all kinds of animals especially birds in our yard from Turkeys to even Vultures. We have a couple pair of Redtail Hawks that nest here every year but recently seen this one bird of prey actually take off from one of our trees and catch a dove in mid air like it was standing still. It didn't even slow down, just caught up to it very fast and I might say the dove itself was fleeing for it's life but this bird caught it like it was standing still. It was not a Redtail, it was smaller and trimmer looking and was brown and white. Could this have been a Falcon because I never seen a bird fly so fast? Another two birds are owls that seem to like our yard at night probably because we have lots of trees and little critters running around at night. Here are a couple pics of them. I'm not sure but I think one is a screech and the other a barred or however you spell it.

BTW, the owl that is flying flew right over my head when I snapped this picture so close I felt the breeze. I thought he was going to land on my head.

Attachments

• Owl.jpg
    Owl.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 218
  • twinowls.jpg
    twinowls.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 197
Hi Thumb and welcome to the Forum. Could your mystery Bird of Prey be a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk? They are incredibly fast and agile.

Could be, I never seen one before. I t was just amazing how fast this one was.

OK, I just looked at some pics of both and I would say for the few seconds that I seen him up close it looks more like a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Last edited:
I know it's been awhile but this is the one I was talking about. He decided to come and take a drink in my pond then went into the tree. Sorry the picture isn't better but I was afraid to get too close and scare him off. I think you were all right. looks like a Coopers Hawk.

Attachments

• cooper.jpg
    cooper.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back