• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inexpensive bird feeders? (1 Viewer)

Chilt

Where or how can I get or make inexpensive bird feeders for my garden, as I’ve over spent my budget already this week! Would love to get some wild life in the garden so I can watch a count what comes in :)

Thanks for any help

Chilt

Where or how can I get or make inexpensive bird feeders for my garden, as I’ve over spent my budget already this week! Would love to get some wild life in the garden so I can watch a count what comes in :)

Thanks for any help

Chilt

I bought a fly by feeder it was like twenty or thirty bucks or so and good quality from H Potter and it was too small for me (seemed like large birds had a hard time with it though others loved it) so it's basically of no use to me, I'd give it to you if you weren't so far away lol but yeah you can definitely find cheaper ones of nice quality if you look hard enough

Last edited:
You can make your own for very little money.
At the simplest, just a platform feeder works fine. Putting a little edge around it will help keep the feed from spilling over the sides too easily.
If you are more ambitious, there are sites that offer feeder ideas and instructions, such as:
http://www.birdsandblooms.com/backyard-projects/diy-bird-feeder/
If you are a do it yourself handyman, this more elaborate unit might please:
http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/free-bird-feeder-plans.html

I don't know about the UK, but here in the USA, a small water bath is always popular. If it is possible, have a bucket or a hose just drip into the bath, it multiplies the appeal.
Birds just love baths and moving water highlights the opportunity.

Last edited:
If your keen at d.i.y. and have some bits lying around you could easily make your own.
Here's a couple of thoughts.......
a Some chicken wire - you could bend it into shape and fasten with some stout wire or better still an old wire coat hanger ( could also use a piece of coat hanger to make a fixing loop ).
b. Make a small wooden nesting box, but without a hole, with a hinged lid, use a piece of wire netting for one side. This could be filled with a variety of bird food dependant on the gauge.
Fresh water is also important, again you may have something knocking around that could double as a bird bath / drinking bowl.
Much more rewarding if you've the time and no plastic.

Last edited:
I like the above suggestion of building a platform feeder, those are pretty simple to build, even *I* could do it and I'm not really all that handy, haha! There are also ways of turning a gallon jug into a feeder if you do a search online. But my personal favorite... is to grab any old log from the woods and drill some holes in it, 1 or 2 inches wide, and stuff the holes with peanut butter. The woodpeckers will love you!

Yes, they are a good addition to the seed, sunflower kernel and peanut feeders. You can spend a small fortune keeping the suet blocks from running out in no time. Hope the original poster has gotten some ideas and has feeders plus water supply in place.
The varied tit flock, finches and others have certainly built up in the last fortnight and are visiting regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back