• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Boars In The Forest Of Dean (1 Viewer)

smyrna

Hi Everyone

This is a question that has probably been asked before but has anyone got
any recent information regarding the best area to look for Wild Boar in the Forest of Dean? I hear stories of people visiting the forest on several occasions to look for them but having no luck. If I lived locally I wouldn't ask, I would search for them myself on a regular basis but I will be travelling down from N Staffs so as you can appreciate any help as to which area to look would be a big help:t:.
Having got a healthy Bird list I thought I would try to improve my Mammal list
this year.
If you feel the info may be sensitive perhaps a pm would be more appropiate.

Many thanks

Phil Jones

did the area last Summer - tempted to say everywhere,however still dipped but the workings alongside most paths would lead you to believe that they shouldn't be difficult!

New Fancy watchpoint is as good a place as any, with a chance of Goshawk too, I am down that way in March with the Cheshire Mammal Group - good luck and report back!

Most of the bird reserves and open areas have potential and I am sure better people with local knowledge will reply soon...

I would ask for details not to be posted online as the Forestry Comission arevery actively culling them.

Please PM other forum members for info

Mark

I agree with Mark re: keeping sightings to PM.

I've tried for UK Wild Boar many times, often without success (mostly with the Sussex/Kent population which are now almost impossible to see). Boar sign is everywhere in the Forest of Dean but sightings more difficult to come by without some local knowledge.

I would suggest quiet walks in the forest at dusk and dawn. That's how I finally found my first UK boar.

The UK Wild Boar Trust (look them up on Facebook) have also started to do guided walks in the Forest of Dean. This could be a good bet as they are familiar with the habits of many individuals and they're eager to educate the public about these fantastic animals.

I would ask for details not to be posted online as the Forestry Comission arevery actively culling them.

Hunting a species to extinction for a second time has to be some kind of record.

All the money spent on reintroductions, but just because wild boar didn't use the "official" route they are viewed as non-native.

Disgraceful in my view.

Hunting a species to extinction for a second time has to be some kind of record.

All the money spent on reintroductions, but just because wild boar didn't use the "official" route they are viewed as non-native.

Disgraceful in my view.

In my view also, I'd like to know why.

The forestry commission and Forest verderers will say management of the current population is needed to reduce them to a level where they don't impact on humans and the environment. Supporters of the boar will say that the culling process is actually driving them out of the woodland into villages.

Whoever you agree with (and I don't know sufficient to say either way) the cull has stopped for this year with 75 shot and 25 killed in accidents this meeting the 100 animal target.

But why are they trying to kill the boars? Wrong subspecies?

Because they are viewed as an introduced species despite the fact that they are of course native. They are not protected as a native species should be. As far as I know the species is the native European one and they look pure but may have some domestic pig genes as well.

Obviously wild boar need management as you will know being in Germany, but when you have a few hundred only, clearly the current levels of hunting and lack of regulation is ridiculous and no doubt they will be extinct again within a few years.

Last edited:
Are we being over cautious? I mentioned one site,which is promoted as a watch point for one of our rarest raptors,nobody bats an eyelid!
I know the encounter rates - I always presumed you needed to actually see one to shoot it,but must admit my knowledge of hunting isn't extensive...
I have seen them when I visit Normandy,whilst avoiding the hunters who manage them as quarry species.

Are we being over cautious? I mentioned one site,which is promoted as a watch point for one of our rarest raptors,nobody bats an eyelid!

You may be right. I am sure the FC know exactly where these are. Boar sitings are quite often on the RSPB Nagshead website and various others. As far as the Goshawk site, this is a big hill with a sign on it saying Goshawk and Raptor viewing point so no-one is likely to be unwittingly disclosing this.

did the area last Summer - tempted to say everywhere,however still dipped but the workings alongside most paths would lead you to believe that they shouldn't be difficult!

New Fancy watchpoint is as good a place as any, with a chance of displaying Goshawk too, I am down that way in March with the Cheshire Mammal Group - good luck and report back!

Most of the bird reserves and open areas have potential and I am sure better people with local knowledge will reply soon...

Thank you for all the responses

Obviously wild boar need management as you will know being in Germany, but when you have a few hundred only, clearly the current levels of hunting and lack of regulation is ridiculous and no doubt they will be extinct again within a few years.
Well if they're as bad at regulation as the German autorities and hunters, you'll be forced to re-introduce the wolf as well, in order to curb boar population and bring them down to a normal level. If there's one thing boars are good at, it's evading human hunters and adapting to man-made environments - they're about as successful as Red Foxes, Coyotes, or Raccoons.
However in your case, you're probably right and the British boar population is simply too small to withstand pressure. I think that rather than being exterminated, they should be forced to spread through neighbouring districts, decreasing their local population density and ecological impact but not their total numbers.

The most successful population to date probably is the Forest of Dean one, but the forestry commission is undertaking population "control" without actually having the remotest idea how many are present or taking any modern steps to find out, which is ludicrously inappropriate.

John

Wild Boar became extinct in Britain in the 13th.C. At that time Britain was a very heavily wooded country. Since then vast numbers of trees have been felled to supply timber for a multiplicity of purposes. Houses, Englands 'Wooded Walls' i.e. The Royal Navy, commercial ship building, Charcoal production for the iron and steel smelting industry and for Gunpowder production, household fires, Gun carriages, etc the list could be made almost endless.

However, the point is that the Wild Boar was and still is, a forest dweller and Britain is really lacking in Broadleaf forest, very little of which has been, or is being, planted, having been taken over by Conniferous woodland, a habitat that is totally unsuitable habitat for Boar. Boar can do a lot of damage in the now restricted areas of Broadleaf forest and that can prevent regeneration of not just trees but also many flowering plants. So it's hardly surprising that they are being culled to reduce their numbers

I like wild boar but it's presence in Britain should be managed correctly. Finally a wild boar that may possibly think it is endangered can become a very vicious animal, being savaged by one is not funny at all.

Harry.

I was in the Forest of Dean last summer. I didn't see any wild boar. In fact I didn't see much at all in the wildlife stakes, but then it wasn't that sort of visit. My grandson did see deer, but I was driving and missed them too.

Warthogs are among my favourite animals, so by extension I like wild boar too. The population should be encouraged to thrive, just as long it's not in my back yard.

So it's hardly surprising that they are being culled to reduce their numbers

I like wild boar but it's presence in Britain should be managed correctly.

I have no problem with managing the populations. Anyone who knows anything about wild boar knows that they need to be managed, as they are in other countries.

The issue in the UK though is that they are being culled on a huge scale with seemingly no real controls and no real idea how many are out there.

Considering the UKs standing in the world of conservation, we have a shocking record when it comes to conserving our native mammals. Large mammals have made a comeback across Europe as attitudes have changed, but we have been ridiculously over-cautious. Almost every country in Europe has reintroduced beavers. How long has our pilot sceheme taken? and still they are confined to a tiny area and facing more red tape. We've had wild boar through accidental reintroduction for decades now, but still they aren't "officially" recognised as being back. Its pathetic and hypocritical as we preach to developing countries about the need to protect native wildlife.

I'd love to see bears and wolves reintroduced but thats being unrealistic and I accept the issues there. But surely we can be a bit more forward thinking with other species?

Only from accounts I've read to be honest, I don't have any first hand knowledge - if anyone does and can tell me I'm wrong then great!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back