• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds named after rivers (1 Viewer)

And of course, River Warbler - after rivers in general, not a specific river!

Well then, you get into Torrent Duck too perhaps.

Waterfall Swift - admissable on basis that a waterfall is by default a part of a river (technically a bit of river with a particuarly high gradient? ;) ) Or is that moving into other water-feature-named birds? - I imagine there's lots of pond and lake things, grebes and the like.

OK - how about......

Kentish plover.

If it is named after Kentish Town - Kentish here being derived from Cean-ditch “Bed of a waterway”.

Too much of a stretch??

.. and Rivers named after Birds

There are quite a few rivers by the name Bird River. At least one in Australia, one in Jamaica, one in the US, one in South Africa, two in Canada, ... and onwards.

I'd love to find a Bird Bird (presumably by Baird).

All depending on; when does a rinn, a runnel, or a ripple, becomes a stream, or a river, when does a stream becomes a rivulet, or a river, when is a creek a river, a flood, a torrent, a tributary or a river (delta) ... well, I'm done.

Good luck Jan (in this river of unsorted replies) ;)

Björn

All depending on; when does a rinn, a runnel, or a ripple, becomes a stream, or a river, when does a stream becomes a rivulet, or a river, when is a creek a river, a flood, a torrent, a tributary or a river (delta) ... well, I'm done.

Good luck Jan (in this river of unsorted replies) ;)

Björn
When it isn't a burn, or a syke or sike, or a gyll or gill, or a cleugh, or a letch, or a water, or a linn, or a grain, ....

Or . . (famous local joke) . . . https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/55.06426/-1.60940 3:)

The Ring-billed Gull was named after the Delaware River, the Ural Owl after the mountains. I mention the more generalised River Warbler, River Tern, Riverbank Warbler, Fly River Grassbird, African River Martin. A quick find through my Key MS found at least 150 scientific toponyms based on rivers (e.g. abariensis, aicora, alligator, angarensis, athensis, ...). Many are now treated in synonymy. A surprising number are very obscure rivers in Australia and New Guinea, others have a more classical ring (e.g. Tanysiptera kingfishers named for ancient river-gods), but some will be familiar (beema, nilotica).

Last edited:
Wow, this is more fun to read than expected. Jurek obviously wins the day with river Styx, that is just the perfect response :) But a lot of the other things, I wouldn't even recognize these things are rivers: Pechora, on of the longest rivers in Europe - never heard of it! - Baudo, Cauca ...

I am afraid that Rio de Janeiro is not a river though, "rio" is also used for an estuary (see Rio de la Plata) and there doesn't seem to be a prominent river there?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back