Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spainish Guide?

Old Wednesday 21st June 2006, 12:58   #1
dylan71

Spainish Guide?

Hi

I am visiting Murcia in Spain in October and wonder what the best ...Where to watch birds guide would be for this and sorrounding regions.. It seem to be on the cusp of Eastern or Southern Spain.. Neither of which I can see in the description cover this area... I would be hoping to visit andulucia as well...

any ideas?

thanks
Old Wednesday 21st June 2006, 16:45   #2
Julian Sykes Wildlife
Jules Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan71
Hi

I am visiting Murcia in Spain in October and wonder what the best ...Where to watch birds guide would be for this and sorrounding regions.. It seem to be on the cusp of Eastern or Southern Spain.. Neither of which I can see in the description cover this area... I would be hoping to visit andulucia as well...

any ideas?

thanks
Hi Dylan
A Birdwatching Guide to Southern Spain by Malcolm Palmer has a small section on Murcia (& Andalucia) if you can still source a copy. ISBN number is
1 900159 50 3

Don't know how good it is since I don't do a lot of birding in Murcia Province as I get all the same species in Valencia & Alicante.

Hope you have a good holiday.

Regards Jules
Old Wednesday 21st June 2006, 17:17   #3
kmonty1950

Hi Dylan,

As Jules says, Malcolm Palmer's book covers Murcia. However, depending on where you are in Murcia there are a couple of excellent sites a shortish drive north on the N332 - Santa Pola and El Hondo. These are covered in Michael Rebane's book "Where to watch birds in North & East Spain".

In Murcia, the Salinas at San Pedro usually have a good variety of birds, but can be somewhat overshadowed by the sheer numbers at Santa Pola. However, I've never let that put me off giving it at least an hour or two in the mornings when I've been there.

Regards

Ken.
Old Thursday 22nd June 2006, 13:26   #4
dylan71

Thank you both for your comphensive replies.. im very much looking forward to it.. who wants to be sitting by the pool when you can be enjoying the nature.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: