• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New FCO advice - don't go (1 Viewer)

Egret

The FCO has issued new advice to avoid "all but essential travel". This follow the latest political developments.

It looks like the political situation is going to be resolved without a shot fired (hopefully). But considering that The Gambia is fairly heavily birded, particularly in the winter, I'm amazed that there is little about this on this forum; particularly as many countries and bird tour companies etc... were evacuating.

It looks like the political situation is going to be resolved without a shot fired (hopefully). But considering that The Gambia is fairly heavily birded, particularly in the winter, I'm amazed that there is little about this on this forum; particularly as many countries and bird tour companies etc... were evacuating.

There was a thread. It deteriorated into a @#$%-fest about UK politics and was deleted by the moderators.

The Gambia Experience are planning to resume flights from the 27th.
Should have seen the back of the outgoing despot now that he has taken all the money.

They are planning to resume subject to FCO advice. If they dont rescind current advice GE won't be able to fly. I can't see them doing that until the ECOWAS troops have withdrawn. It may be a while. I hope it isn't though for the sake of the lovely Gambian people who have suffered enough!

Just got this - I was wrong thank goodness..............Latest update:
Summary - the Foreign and Commonwealth Office no longer advise against travel to The Gambia; the situation has stabilised and the possibility of a military intervention is no longer likely

I'm pleased for the people of The Gambia and the tour operators that the crisis is now coming to an end. Too late for me as we were due to fly out today for a 10 day trip.

Thomas Cook have been great and offered a full refund, the company we booked to go up-river with are being evasive even though I recently paid a large sum with the understanding that the whole amount would be refunded or trip re-arranged if the political situation took a turn for the worse.

A warning for those who book a guide - you might want to pay a smaller deposit even though that will mean taking more cash than you would have wanted to for security reasons.

I'm looking to book again to fit in with work & family commitments, anyone been in March?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back