• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charles: Zen-Ray 8X32 Project Status? (1 Viewer)

BruceH

A thread was started January of last year (2011) suggesting Zen-Ray add an 8X32 to the product line. Charles responsed that a 32mm was in the works, but ulitmately indicated it was held up due to technical issues and higher prioritites.

Here is the thread ........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189593&highlight=8X32

(I was unable to post to the original thread because it was over 290 day since any activity.)

Tuesday 11th January 2011
we do have a version of 32mm ZRS HD in the work. It will be as nice as its 42mm siblings.

Wednesday 23rd March 2011
David, we might not see it before this summer. We are still trying to work the bugs out of the system before releasing the final products. The process actually takes longer than what we initially anticipated. It turns out to be not as easy as simply scaling the size. Thanks

Charles

Thursday 9th June 2011, 23:48
David, the schedule of 32mm binoculars is pushed out further to allow us to focus on the products already on the roadmap. more to follow.

Now that the initial release of the Prime HD product is in the final stages, I would like to hear from Charles if the 8X32 project is about to be active again!

I was also wondering about the likelihood of the Prime HD line expanding to an 8X32 model. It would be great to have a roof prism alternative to the pricey Nikon EDG and new Swarovski EL 8X32 Swarovision edge sharp models.

Last edited:
I was also wondering about the likelihood of the Prime HD line expanding to an 8X32 model. It would be great to have a roof prism alternative to the pricey Nikon EDG and new Swarovski EL 8X32 Swarovision edge sharp models.

Bruce, I was thinking about starting a petition for the 32mm Prime HD models after the 42mm models are officially launched. Make it bright and sharp edge-to-edge, and price it at $500-600, it will sell like hotcakes!

As long as there is enough pincushion to avoid the dreaded "rolling ball," an 8x32 Prime ED would be a welcomed addition.

It's one of the most popular birding bin configurations and the late but not forgotten 8x30 SLC was very popular with hunters. So ZR can kill two clay pigeons with one paint ball.

The problem for me is that midsized closed bridge roofs are too small for my hands. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would prefer to see an open bridge configuration in this model. Not only easier to handle but the longer length should improve depth perception like the 8x32 EL/8x32 EDG.

Brock

So maybe a Sightron SII 8x32 body with ED glass objectives and ZR's choice of coatings?

That would certainly suit me just fine.

Spacepilot .... I agree with you. I think Prime HD 8X32 would be a killer. Right now, there is nothing in a roof prism to compete with Swarovski SV or Nikon EDG II at a more affordable price.

Brock & Frank .... Actually, I think you are asking for a Zen-Ray 8X32 ED3. Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

So, that leaves us with:

- an 8X32 ZRS
- an 8X32 ED3
- an 8X32 Prime HD

Ok Charles, your move!

Last edited:
Bruce it doesn't matter now, but you could of used that old thread.

Actually, I did try to use the old thread. I clicked on the "Preview Post" button after typing my note and in return got a large message box saying the thread was over 290 days old (and I think it said without activity, but can not remember for sure now) and it would not let me post.

When I returned to the previous screen, the part of my note with the quotes remained but all of my original text was gone! I did not want to go through that again, so I posted this new note.

Normally I would have expected the note to be marked "Closed" if new posts were not allowed. Maybe I missed something on one of the screens.

If you know how I could have worked around this issue, then please send me a Private Message (PM) so I can avoid this issue in the future. (I am suggesting a PM in order to keep the thread on topic.)

Last edited:
Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 291 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

(Box here you must check)I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.
---------------------
8x32 sounds great, but so did the 7x36 though for me the excessive pin cushion was too much. None has yet pen a review for the latest greatest in 8/10x42, so it might behoove us to wait before wanting a scaled down version.

I think it hard to drop down to the low 30s in objective size whilst maintaining the quality view of the 40s along w/healthy FOV at a savings.

Last edited:
Maybe...maybe not. Other manufacturers produced 8x32 versions of their 8x42s in any given product line. Why not the Prime HD?

Along that line of thinking the 8x32s are usually slightly less expensive and also have a wider field of view. Considering you should be able to get the Prime HD 8x42 for around $540 and it has a 426 foot field of view then I would expect the Prime HD 8x32 to sell for $500 and have a 450 foot field of view.

;)

How is that for some deductive reasoning?

:)

Sounds swell to me Franco assuming I'm blown away by the newly vaunted modelo de HD.

Perchance St. Nick, being of good cheer, will have mercy on me soul in dropping one off for me.

Pray tell seer does the crystal ball foretell compact 8x20/10x25 & 12/15x45 HD?

Will lines then be drawn twixt HD & ABK in a no holds barred steel chair match for the intercontinental Conquest belt?

How about an 8x32 and/or 8x42 ED Porro? I have tried many a Roof (including Zen-Ray) and ALWAYS find them "less than" Porros. Not because they aren't good bins but because they are NOT Porros. I think my DNA is to blame.

Aren't the Vortex Talon HDs closely related to the Zen-Ray ED2/ED3s?
And they already have the Talon 8x32 and 10x32 on their website, although official launch has been delayed.
To me it seems the natural step for Zen-Ray would be to use that model and put it in the ED3 line.
At the moment I'm torn between buying the 7x43 ED3, buying the Talon HD 8x32, buying both or buying none of them (!) :eek!:
Maybe a great 8x32 (of course with clockwise focuser, otherwise I'd have bought the Sightron already ;)) could bring some order to my rucksack again. The ED50A 27x is a very nice compromise and perhaps that coming 8x32 would be the perfect companion for it. Or, I'll go on with the 6.5x Fury. Very nice.

//L

All, thanks a lot for the feedback. I will take all your feedbacks to my heart and see what we can do with 32mm glasses. But first thing first, do one thing at a time and do it really well: get PRIME HD ready for prime time. :)

Charles

Charles .... Thanks for replying. I am concluding that at least one Zen-Ray 8X32 is
still in the realm of possibility, but not in the very near term.

If there is only one, I hope it is a Prime HD Swarovski EL SV killer!

Charles .... Thanks for replying. I am concluding that at least one Zen-Ray 8X32 is
still in the realm of possibility, but not in the very near term.

If there is only one, I hope it is a Prime HD Swarovski EL SV killer!

Here's another vote for the Prime HD in 32mm format. Considering how close the Prime HD is priced compared to ED3 in real dollar amount (not in percentage), the Prime HD is the only one worth making, as far as I'm concerned. Of course this is assuming that the 32mm models will have the same 20mm eye relief and edge sharpness of the 42mm model,

Maybe...maybe not. Other manufacturers produced 8x32 versions of their 8x42s in any given product line. Why not the Prime HD?

Along that line of thinking the 8x32s are usually slightly less expensive and also have a wider field of view. Considering you should be able to get the Prime HD 8x42 for around $540 and it has a 426 foot field of view then I would expect the Prime HD 8x32 to sell for $500 and have a 450 foot field of view.

;)

How is that for some deductive reasoning?

:)

Why not the Prime HD?

You want to know why not? Do you really want to know? Well, I'll tell you.

For some unknown reason (unbeknownst to me, at least), optics companies can't seem to make midsized bins as good as their full sized models except at the top tier.

The Sightron II seems to be an exception in the lower tier. The Loopy 8x32 GR HD is apparently an exception in the mid tier.

Even the much praised 8x32 EL didn't quite match my 8x32 SE, which cost a fraction of the price. Kimmo also put it behind the 8x30 EII in his test. And Henry panned the first version of the 8x32 EL as "sucking the hairy moose" (I heavily paraphrase :).

I realize larger aperture gives an advantage in dim light, but side by side in daylight, most midsized roofs I've tried don't measure up to full sized models in the same line. Why is that?

Is it the shorter FL that limits resolution and increases aberrations? Or the wider FOV that makes "edge effects" more visible? The views also look more 2-D than the full sized models.

Hopefully, if there is an 8x32 Prime HD, it will be another exception, with sharp, contrasty views and minimal "edge effects," a smoother focuser than the Sightron, and lighter weight than the GR HD.

Btw, when do the pre-orders start? :)

Just to put into perspective, the 42mm PRIME HD takes more than 2 1/2 years from design, revision, and of course another re-design before it becomes inches closer to reality. I don't imagine that 32mm will be as simple as scaling down the 42mm.

Charles

Not to over-read you, Charles, but "will be" implies a 32mm is coming, while "would be" wouldn't. Which is it? :) (just stirring the chicken bones and tea leaves).

David

David, unfortunately, there is no 32mm on the drawing board yet. What I am saying is that even if we decide to build one, it will take a while to make it happen.

Let me put it this way: when we have any 32mm ready, I will sure make BF members be the first ones to know.

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back