• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/Head Recommendations for ATX 95 (1 Viewer)

...I've just picked up a Velbon travel tripod that works well in handling large scopes, although I swapped out the head for a Manfrotto 701

I bought one of those Velbon's when they first came out ~2yrs ago for my ED50. Folds up nice and short to fit in my shoulder bag. Neil's pic of it in the hide brings back memories of my trip to HK's Mai Po when I had my 884 set up in the same position!

Hello, this is my first post.

The ATX 95 looks very interesting.

I notice that there is a new Manfratto MVH500AH fluid video head that weighs 2.05 lb and can support 11 lb. I'm thinking this may be a good choice for the ATX 95 but I'm not sure. It looks like it comes with a rather long QR plate which should help for balance. The plate also drops from the top instead of sliding in.

http://www.manfrotto.us/product/0/M..._fluid_video_head_with_flat_base_(5kg_payload)

http://cheesycam.com/manfrotto-new-mvh500ah-mvh500a-video-fluid-head/

Do you think this would be a better choice than the Gitzo G2180 head, Gitzo GH2720QR birdwatching head, or Swarovski DH101 head?

Also, any thoughts on Gitzo 3 series vs. RRS TVC-33 for this setup?

Thanks for any info you may have!

John

Do you think this would be a better choice than the Gitzo G2180 head, Gitzo GH2720QR birdwatching head, or Swarovski DH101 head?

The Gitzo G2180 is in my opinion not a good choice for heavier scopes. Its main advantage is its low weight and small size. For heavier scopes the G2380 is *far* better.

Hermann

Thank you Hermann. Of all the choices I have to make the tripod head is the one I am least sure of. I appreciate your input.

John

I have just bought a Swarovski ATX95. My current tripod, a Manfrotto 190 with 128RC head, cannot handle the weight. I also plan to digiscope with a Canon 7D and TLS APO adapter.

I'm thinking a Gitzo 3 series may fit the bill for the tripod. Are there any which are tall enough to be used without raising the centre column? Any recommendations for a head?

I have just bought a Swarovski ATX95. My current tripod, a Manfrotto 190 with 128RC head, cannot handle the weight. I also plan to digiscope with a Canon 7D and TLS APO adapter.

I'm thinking a Gitzo 3 series may fit the bill for the tripod. Are there any which are tall enough to be used without raising the centre column? Any recommendations for a head?

I have the Manfrotto 502 that come with long plate for better balance with the STX 95. For Digiscoping, I used the TR II Telescope Rail :king:

Hi from Italy.
I use Swarovski ATx 95 with a small Canon S95 but also with Canon EOS 7D or Canon EOS M. So i was searching a stable setup. During the last month i'tried:
Manfrotto 501 HDV was unstable when I used it with the Eos 7D. The Vixen Porta II is good but a bit 'bulky than that of in white color

Actually i think to have found the best for my taste:
1) Benro Gh-2
2) Tripod Berlebach Report 2022- (Camouflage version)

Here's a photo of my kit
Best Regards
Piergiovanni

Attachments

• pier.jpg
    pier.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,368
Nice setup Piergiovanni! Gimbals are really the best solution for 80mm+ class scopes IMO. I wish more tripods came in a camo option too.

Nice setup Piergiovanni! Gimbals are really the best solution for 80mm+ class scopes IMO. I wish more tripods came in a camo option too.

Hi RJM, usually, there are some companies that sell camo tape. However, for those who want to customize their tripods , the marine shops sell neoprene sheets also in camouflage version. (3mm of tickness) I'm trying to create a coat for the Kowa Telephoto Lens/Scope with this method.
In this image you can see the Benro GH- cover with some camo tape
Best Regards from Italy
Pier

Attachments

• atx2.jpg
    atx2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Hi,
And what is your opinion about Swarovski DH101 head and tripod CT101? I'm talking about combination for ATX95. Is it would be stable?

Last edited:
Hi,
And what is your opinion about Swarovski DH101 head and tripod CT101? I'm talking about combination for ATX95. Is it would be stable?

I'll be testing it out on Friday and Saturday with Swarovski in Austria. I'll let you know.
Neil

I have the Manfrotto 502 that come with long plate for better balance with the STX 95. For Digiscoping, I used the TR II Telescope Rail :king:

I went for the Manfrotto 502. It handles the ATX95 easily and balances well. If I hang my Canon 7D and APO TLS off it then you cannot achieve perfect balance, so I will probably need to get a balance rail.

For the tripod I got a Gitzo 3532LS, which is superb. The combination of ATX/502/Gitzo 3 series is rock solid, if a little weighty!

Hi,

Marius,
The Swarovski is fine but I ended up getting the Gitzo Traveller (Series Two ) - GT2542T
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/900512-REG/Gitzo_GT2542T_Traveler_Tripod.html
and the Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Head
as this was about my budget (my wife was paying) and weight range. I have to travel on public transport in Hong Kong and on planes a lot so size/weight was important.
It extends to 56.5 inches and will hold 26 lbs. Enough for me as I'm usually sitting in hides anyway.
Neil.

The new Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Head looks ideal are you finding it ok?

I'm looking for a new scope, ain't had one for about 5yrs and I need a tripod and head....scope choice is the atx 30-70x95 too :t:

I'm looking for a new scope, ain't had one for about 5yrs and I need a tripod and head....scope choice is the atx 30-70x95 too :t:

Good to know your still about Richie. You should be fine with the new Manfrotto head. You will be coming back into scope heaven big time with the Swarovski atx 95!
Let us know what you think of it. A mate owns an optics shop here in Cornwall and the ATX is selling well,
suppressor

Thanks, had lots of changes in my life, good and bad and now it's time to make more time for birding and salty time B :)

Miss my old Leica and Zeiss scopes and this will be my first Swarovski.....but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I'm enjoying this new tripod/head combo Richie. It's more stable than my aluminium Benro and it's easy to balance with the Swarovski balance plate. I'm getting used to the new release mechanism on the 500 head.
The only caveat so far is the screw that locks the rotation has dropped out once so I have to remember to tighten it before I move around carrying the combo on my shoulder.
You'll love the 95mm scope.
Neil.

Cheers Neil

I ain't too fussed if tripod/scope combo is heavy, I rarely used to walk far, I always used to sit and wait or view from home and hides.....with regular trips where I'm not far from the car.

Bulky but steady is ideal if I am out watching raptors in the wild.....it's windy out in the hills!

Still ain't seen the 95 in the flesh yet, I've wanted one for ages though so just been stuck to what's on the internet for now.

Cheers Neil

I ain't too fussed if tripod/scope combo is heavy, I rarely used to walk far, I always used to sit and wait or view from home and hides.....with regular trips where I'm not far from the car.

Bulky but steady is ideal if I am out watching raptors in the wild.....it's windy out in the hills!

Still ain't seen the 95 in the flesh yet, I've wanted one for ages though so just been stuck to what's on the internet for now.

You're lucky then Richie as it gives you more options for the tripod. I have a couple of wooden tripods down in Sydney and if it's windy my old surveyor's tripod is like a rock.
Neil.

I use a Lensmaster gimbal RH2 gimbal head... comes with a long plate that balances my Meopta S2 82mm scope perfectly with a Nikon D90 attached. Reasonably priced, well made and functional. Should work fine with the ATX I would think http://www.lensmaster.co.uk

I currently use it on a Vanguard Abeo Pro 283CT carbon fibre tripod and it works well for observation and digiscoping.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back