• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slow Down and Look (1 Viewer)

michaelboustead

This morning I decided to try for the Northern Lapwing that seems to be resident in Northern Maryland about 60 miles from my home. I arrived at 7:30 AM and promptly scanned the field where it was last reported. There was a large flock of Horned Larks and being a birder of little brain I knew they were not the Lapwing so I continued scanning without really "looking" at the Larks.

About 10 minutes later another birder from Pennsylvania pulled up in his car and pointed out the Lapland Longspurs among the Larks-for me life birds. I felt both happy and foolish.

I think part of the reason we bird is the seredipity of birding- we never know what is there. When it comes to flocks, slow down and look.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back