• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest sell off petition (1 Viewer)

I signed the petition because I think the forests should remain in public hands.

It is important that forests pay their way, and they can do this through mainly timber production, but also tourism and recreation.

But to sell them off just to pay off a few debts and expect volunteers to do what the government is doing is ridiculous. The sell off will probably result in less access and less maintenance of the forests.

I hesitated to sign this earlier in the year because I thought it was too 'tree huggy' - a view which is unrealistic and an agenda I would not be willing to support. I think it is very important that we don't fall into a tree-hugging mentality, whereby one would never cut down a tree or approve the same, even as one sits on a nice wooden chair.

This ain't over until the lease agreements/deeds of sale are signed, so please keep up the pressure.....

Totally agree! This government needs to keep its eye on the big picture and not on (relatively speaking) such small beer as this, especially when so many people across the political divide have come together on it. People from all walks of life can ID dogma when they see it! What a waste of government effort when there are economic issues that could be damaging to every family in the land for decades...
MJB

Last edited:
My Tory MP voted with his party. Predictable enough I know, but the standard reply email I got back from him was so impenetrable that it didn't actually give away how he was going to vote.

Our local MP, Andrew Turner (Con) did as well. I've sent him an email via the form on the 38 Degrees site but I don't expect any reply. If I get a reply it will probably be a fob-off.
The only time Mr Turner went against his party's line is when he thought that he'd lose half his constituents (Government plan to split the Isle of Wight into two constituencies with one linked to Southampton, Portsmouth or the New Forest).

"Spelman continues her patronising and offensive tactics on the Politics Show just now. None of us who oppose the proposals have read the consultation and are just reacting to headlines which claim the New Forest will be turned into golf courses."

More Golf Courses - What a great idea!!!!!! We are all doomed!!!

At least I did not vote for this "progressive lot" from Eton and Westminister secondary moderns!!

The Blue team want to sell everything off to the highest bidder SURPRISE SURPRISE, strip our assets and leave our future in the hands of the greedy, S##T.

Standard bullshit reply from my MP, my reply pointing out that much of what he was saying didn't make any sense hasn't got a response, no surprises there.

PS he voted for it

Standard bullshit reply from my MP, my reply pointing out that much of what he was saying didn't make any sense hasn't got a response, no surprises there.

PS he voted for it

I haven't received any bullshit - yet - but I did get this:

Thank you for your email regarding the forest debate.

I will make sure that Mr Turner is aware of your views and he will be responding to you. As I am sure you will understand this matter has generated a great deal of correspondence in addition to our usual workload and we are dealing with this as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, if you require any further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards

PS he voted for it

While I understand everyones anger about this,constantly slagging off the government is hardly going to change anything or stop any forests being sold off

Only "some forests" though. Anyone want to bet on those being The New Forest and The Forest of Dean???????? Anything north of the home counties will be sold for "conservation" ( read firewood! ) I'm in Japan at the moment and, as a country, it's been going through hard times since before the bankers were found out, neither does it have the best reputation in the world for it's support for conservation, but no-one here has even thought of selling off the forests / national parks ( They'll be next if we don't slap the MP's down right now ).

Chris

Last edited:

Good news only in the sense that the government will be trying to buy off some sections of protest (not my words, but of the BBC News24 correspondent at 1250 today) and so 'sell-off on hold' merely marks the point where the protest should aim to redouble. To provide some political context, the government has just lost a court case on its decision to scrap the repairs and replacement of a large number of schools; its actions have been declared illegal. The sheer consistency of the idiocy of their 'damn the torpedoes' high-speed efforts to change policies without bothering to find out what is really needed reeks of dogma.

The current forestry system ain't broke, so don't fix it! This message has to get through, and when it does, perhaps some of the other dopey schemes can be stopped, too, so that the real problems of national debt can get all the attention they need.
MJB
PS I would say that on most issues in my life, I would think I am slightly right of centre. I just hate the elevation of assertion above evidence and truth.

MJB

It was not just illegal but also an abuse of power......and thats just it, this Coalition represents an abuse of power which rides roughshod over what the people of the Uk want. However, people power has to boot the Coalition in to the long grass with all its silly ideas.

Actually, I think there is a silly ideas department somewhere in Whitehall. You can imagine a Monty Python scetch in relation to this or even a scene from Spitting Images.

The forest and woodlands of the Churnet Valley near where I live are still at risk and its all over the front of our local papers. We can't let this one rest.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
MBJ,
Actually, I think there is a silly ideas department somewhere in Whitehall. You can imagine a Monty Python scetch in relation to this or even a scene from Spitting Images.
The forest and woodlands of the Churnet Valley near where I live are still at risk and its all over the front of our local papers. We can't let this one rest.
Dean:t:

Agree with all the above, but puzzled that you credit MBJ and not me...
MJB

I signed the Woodland Trust petition in January, but have some reservations on the issue. I is not as simplistic as many comments have suggested. SOME of the sites have significant conservation value today or can reasonably be developed to provide valuable habitat. Other sites would incur greater expense in subsidies than they their present maintenance cost with the Forestry Commission. These should all be retained in public ownership.

About half the acreage, however, has little wildlife value and could be managed equally or more effectively in private ownership. I can see no logical reason to oppose the sell off of these sites, providing public access rights are secured. If the legislation is made selective (instead of potentially all inclusive) and necessary safeguards are included, I for one would rescind my objection.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back