• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginner!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

ESTEBANNIC

Hi guys!

I've been a birder for many years now, but only recently have I had the urge to go beyond binoculars and get a telescope. I've seen that there are so many different types that I'm quite at a loss.

Can anyone recommend a telescope to start with that will not get me bankrupt and worthwhile?

Thanks for any advise

Steve B :)

In the mid price range Opticron have a very good reputation, but I'm sure you'll get a wealth of very informed advice before the evening's out!

Hello Steve, Bluetails reccomendation is spot on a great scope with bright optics, buying secondhand is also a good choice as long as you can get the chance to check them out before buying.
Try your local optics retailers online to see if any bargins are available.

Regards Cuddy.

Hola, Esteban.

It'd be very helpful if you can give an idea of how much you'd like to spend - remembering that you'll need a tripod too.

Scope choice and brand is very much a personal thing as much for the differetn scope design as for the brand involved, so you will no doubt get a wide variety of suggestions on here or if you read the other digiscoping threads.

Oticron is a decent enough brand along with Nikon scopes on which some great deals can be had. I used to have a Kowa which I'd recommend to anyone probably ahead of the above as mine was on par with my new Swarovski.

One of the easiest decisions is whether angled or straight. I much prefer the angled myself but others prefer the straight.

Is it just for viewing or may you want to use the scope for taking photos? Generally manufacturers make scopes in two glass qualities - standard glass and high dispersion - though each manufacturer calls it something different.

If you will only ever use the scope for viewing then go for standard glass as it's far cheaper and for viewing with the eye it can be hard to tell the difference between scopes other than in low light. If you want to take photos with this scope then you will need the higher quality of glass and you'd be better off spending a bit more on a Kowa, Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss with the better glass.

Another consideration is the size of scope. Most designs come in either the 60+ mm range or the 80+ mm range. The 60+ mm versions are usually a good bit cheaper. 60+ mm scopes are usually smaller and lighter for carying around. 80+ mm scopes tend to give the brightest of images ideal for dull conditions. Considering your location I should think you would find a 60+ mm, more than enough as regards lighting. 80+ mm would of course give slightly better (larger) view but then again you have to consider distances viewed from. I was in Majorca in October and had my 80 mm scope. I was surprised at the amount of heat haze still, though it was warmer than it usaully is in October.

Thanks to all for the above advice.
So from what I can gather a decent scope would be a 60-80mm, straight or angled lense . I'm looking for a price ranged not higher than 400euros (with tripod). Is this realistic?
To digiscope is it easy to attach a camara to most telescopes or do they have to be specially adapted?

Having a telescope must be worthwhile as I have always puzzled about seeing birders trundling in and out of nature reserves with tripods and ungainly equipment!!

Thanks again :h?:

Check out kenkomall.com. I bought the 65 as a starter w/a manfrotti tripod and bogen head. That should be in your price range. Kenko makes a great line of camera lenses which many nikon photographers use instead of nikkor lenses. I found the scope very good. I dont think u will be disappointed.

ESTEBANNIC said:
Thanks to all for the above advice.
So from what I can gather a decent scope would be a 60-80mm, straight or angled lense . I'm looking for a price ranged not higher than 400euros (with tripod). Is this realistic?
To digiscope is it easy to attach a camara to most telescopes or do they have to be specially adapted?

Having a telescope must be worthwhile as I have always puzzled about seeing birders trundling in and out of nature reserves with tripods and ungainly equipment!!

Thanks again :h?:
With your budget then I think you are going to have to be looking at 60 mm scopes and standard glass lenses which is going to limit digiscoping quality but will still be good to use for viewing the birds. You will still be able to take reasonable photos but they won't be top class.

Scopes come with eyepieces and bodies as separate items and 400 euros is not really that much especially if looking for a tripod in that price as well as a sturdy tripod is as important as the scope itself.

Check out www.warehouse.express.com which will give you an idea of the models and prices. I'd still be looking at the brands mentioned above. For the tripod really you should be looking at around 140+ euros for the tripod alone such as the Manfrotto 290 series which comes with a head, where as most other decent tripods come with separate head.

Great info!
I'm now starting to get the basic picture of digiscoping. A week ago I did'nt have a clue.....this forum really is an enciclopedia.

One more thing, are there any other web pages/links regarding scopes that you can recommend?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back