• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird with red neck: any idea of the name? (1 Viewer)

Olympe

Hello everyone!

I would like to find out what is the kind of birds in the attached pictures..

Thank you very much!

Olympe

Attachments

• Birds.jpg
    Birds.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
some wild guesses for the big foreground bird:

a guineafowl - maybe Black guineafowl. But beak isn't right, and should show bare face and usually a bit of a crest.

a francolin, maybe swainson's francolin. Better match for beak, but plumage is off.

Might help to narrow it down by continent, if possible. Somebody here will probably recognize the second bird back, which will accomplish that.

Last edited:
Main bird 🤷🏽*♀️

Dear Nutcraker,

Thank you so much for your reply. It really looks like a Male Common Redstart!

By any chance, would you have an idea for the main bird?

Thank you very much!

Olympia

Or an Eastern Black Redstart? The main bird's first impression to me is also some sort of guinea fowl, a cross between a black and a helmeted theoretically. But it could be francolin, partridge or spurfowl but which one? Surely a study from somewhere in the Africas and in Victorian times. Guessing the other images are of a swallow and a type of pigeon.

Last edited:
I wondered whether this might be some tropical scenario.
and I wondered whether maybe the main bird in the picture might be the Sri Lankan Spurfowl (male).
If so , what about Green Imperial Pigeon for the perched bird, and Crested Tree Swift for the bird in flight.
As for the other one: I too thought about male Redstart

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back