• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Hundreds of Southern Marsh in flower today at Saltwells Nature Reserve, Brierley Hil, W. Mids.

Bee Orchids at Wrens Nest, Dudley, not quite out; a few more days to go there

Pretty much my local spots! Might be worth heading over to Baggeridge CP in Sedgely - they have a good colony of Bees and many thousands of Southern Marsh with a small colony of Pyramidal. Just ask at the rangers office for Steve Gallis and you'll get detailed directions. I usually go every year since its so close to my home in Wolverhampton but since I'm now in London, it might be a bit difficult!

Mike

Frog flowering times

Upthread there was a discussion about whether there were early and late flowering forms of Frog orchid. Judging by the number of unopened buds on this plant, found today, I suspect it didn't start flowering before this month.

It seems to lack anthocyanins so looks rather odd for a Frog.

Rich M

Attachments

• 051G.JPG
    051G.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 57
  • 051H.JPG
    051H.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 051I.JPG
    051I.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 50
Upthread there was a discussion about whether there were early and late flowering forms of Frog orchid. Judging by the number of unopened buds on this plant, found today, I suspect it didn't start flowering before this month.

It seems to lack anthocyanins so looks rather odd for a Frog.

Rich M

Very interestingly looking.

Marsh Orchid id

I photographed this Orchid at Hatchet Pond in the New Forest and assumed it was Southern Marsh (sorry not very experienced with Orchid id) but now think it may be Early Marsh, can anyone confirm?

Also hoping to see Bog Orchid at Stoney Cross in the New Forest in the next few weeks, does anyone have any directions including a GPS grid reference?

Thank you in advance. I can let anyone have directions for Heath Fragrant in the New Forest (just flowering now) if anyone is keen to see them.

Attachments

• southernmarshorchid.jpg
    southernmarshorchid.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 109
I photographed this Orchid at Hatchet Pond in the New Forest and assumed it was Southern Marsh (sorry not very experienced with Orchid id) but now think it may be Early Marsh, can anyone confirm?

Also hoping to see Bog Orchid at Stoney Cross in the New Forest in the next few weeks, does anyone have any directions including a GPS grid reference?

Thank you in advance. I can let anyone have directions for Heath Fragrant in the New Forest (just flowering now) if anyone is keen to see them.

Looks like a pulchella Early Marsh.

Rich M

NLH @ Gloucs

Hi

I am planning a short stay in Gloucestershire in July. Any help in locating NLH, where and timing, greatly appreciated.
Also similar for Burnt Orchids

thanks

Steve

At the weekend in Norfolk I saw several Marsh Orchids like the two pictured, with lots of dashes spread across the lip. There were Early Marsh and Southern Marsh both present nearby. Could these be hybrids, or just part of a continuum of Dactylorhiza orchids that aren't easily named?

Any thoughts appreciated.

James

Attachments

• IMGP9571.jpg
    IMGP9571.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMGP9576.jpg
    IMGP9576.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 42
At the weekend in Norfolk I saw several Marsh Orchids like the two pictured, with lots of dashes spread across the lip. There were Early Marsh and Southern Marsh both present nearby. Could these be hybrids, or just part of a continuum of Dactylorhiza orchids that aren't easily named?

Any thoughts appreciated.

James

Hi James

I'd say they are both within the range of Southern Marsh; it seems to be quite a variable species.

Rich M

Thanks Rich. That's what I assumed at the time, but when I got home and compared them against photos of more well-marked ones I wondered if the dashes, lack of loops etc were significant. As you say, particularly variable!

Cheers,
James

Hi James

I'd say they are both within the range of Southern Marsh; it seems to be quite a variable species.

Rich M

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back