• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Punta Cana mid April? (1 Viewer)

Vinman

Hi,
Will be there and looking into logistics. I’m thinking will be some migrants passing through, but mostly looking for the endemics. I have “Birds of the Dominican Republic and Haiti”, and “Ruta Barrancoli: a Bird Finding Guide to the Dominican Republic”.

What are everyone’s thoughts on good hotspots?

What is the consensus on self guided travel (local)? Thinking of renting a motorcycle for a day or two to get into some back country areas. Will take the usual precautions of dressing WAY down and keeping my stuff in a ratty looking daypack. I like the idea of a bike because (as an experienced off road biker) I could get away from anyone trying to accost me much more easily, and I could get to far more places. Plus, motorcycle rentals are stupid cheap.

Planning to look for forest and wading species, plus a family excursion out to Soana Island (pelagics).

Thanks!

I have some years ago done a self-guided tour staying in different areas around the island. I did not have problems. The birdlife in the SW corner of the island is probably the best there is (use your Ruta B).

Niels

Thank you, Niels. I’m looking at a few roadblocks in executing my plan. We are staying at an “all inclusive” resort, so even getting off the property requires a little planning. Second, as soon as my wife and I discuss my plans to travel on the island alone, it will be a very difficult thing to convince her. Also, the entire concept of a motorcycle is a non-starter for her. My plan for that last bit is the use of the term “scooter”. She finds those much less frightening than “motorcycle”. The “travel alone” part will be my biggest hurdle. If (and that’s a big “if”) I can convince her to let me have a day to explore, I’ll be in heaven. Or in the trunk of someone’s car 8-P

If only one day, that limits your reach. Even with a two-wheeler, traffic does not necessarily move fast everywhere you want to go. Drive defensively, and plan on being back at nightfall. But even with those limitations, you are bound to see more than you could on a standard resort.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back