• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatch feeding Woodpecker nestling (1 Viewer)

Puffins4Life

Puffins4Life
Today I witnessed a Nuthatch feeding a Great Spotted Woodpecker nestling peeking his head out from the nest hole. The Nuthatch did this over several trips. Eventually the adult female Woodpecker showed up and chased the Nuthatch off. Anyone else ever seen or heard about this type of behavior? I was really surprised to see it happen.

It occasionally happens with diverse birds, when two nest holes are close together. Parents sort of mistake the place.

I've never seen anything like this in the decades I have been watching birds so to me, this would be very awesome to come by

Oddly enough, while I was reading this Springwatch did a short piece on a Wren repeatedly feeding a nest of Blue Tits while the adults were present and a Great Tit feeding young Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Today I witnessed a Nuthatch feeding a Great Spotted Woodpecker nestling peeking his head out from the nest hole. The Nuthatch did this over several trips. Eventually the adult female Woodpecker showed up and chased the Nuthatch off. Anyone else ever seen or heard about this type of behavior? I was really surprised to see it happen.

Our resident Sittidae, on this side of the world often stash gleaned tidbits into various cavities, such as small nooks under tree bark.

I have to wonder outloud, is the nuthatch assuming a parental role?
Or, merely putting away food in a handy yawning gape?

Both are plausible
We know that other animals "adopt" infrequently.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back