• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts gone already?. (1 Viewer)

Yesterday evening I watched around 30 Swifts circling in a tight flock, almost like Starlings, over my street. I wondered if it was some sort of pre-migration flight. Haven't seen any yet today.

13 this afternoon feeding over tree tops into very strong SW wind. (4.5KM west of yesterdays)
SE

None on Thursday - colder & windy

4 at coast on Friday 11th Aug , very cold with northerly wind.

Last edited:
Had two over the house in Liverpool yesterday, but only for a couple of minutes before they flew south. None today. All the local birds seem to have gone.

Stephen

I've been seeing the odd one or two, mostly morning and evening, over Aberdeen the past few days. I expect the cool weather is holding them up.

Alll 3 species still here. I suppose they'll start moving south in 2 weeks. Can't wait for the passage to finaly start!

Dimitris

Heard one over my house (in Cork city) yesterday morning, which I didn't manage to see later. My first in over a week, the local breeding birds having left by 5th August.
Harry

Was just comtemplating posting on this thread earlier whilst working in the inner city keeping my eyes out for Swifts, just as I said to myself ''hmm, seems most of the Swifts have moved on'', 3 fly over...they're still here yet!!!

The Firecrest said:
What's the latest date ever that Common Swift has been recorded in Britian?
There are (very) occasional records from end of October and early November, though by this stage Pallid and Chimney Swifts are statistically about as likely! No idea what the absolute record is.

I know someone who had a Common Swift in December in Norfolk.

Had 250 moving south through the afternoon yesterday on the patch here in south Lincs - also very large numbers of House Martins.

saw one today heading north through the breacon beasons?? also saw a few back home this evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back