• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Pinkfeet (1 Viewer)

derekjake

A friend who lives near wells-next-the-sea has told me he saw a small skein of pinks monday flying over head to wards wells , he said there were about 17 in the skein , regards DEREKJAKE

john barclay said:
Did he see them coming 'in off'?

John.
HI JOHN , He saw them between burnham thorpe and north creake heading towards wells , he said they were calling so he was sure they were pinks regards DEREK JAKE

The Firecrest said:
Reckon there'll be any around in mid September? Love to see 'em.
Jyothi
HI FIRECREST , THE PINKFEET OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE BEEN COMING BACK TO NORFOLK A LOT EARLIER THAN IN YEARS GONE BY , IT IS THOUGHT A LOT OF THEM ARE NOW MISSING OUT SCOTLAND AND COMING STRAIGHT DOWN TO NORFOLK . BY MID SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR THERE WERE A LOT OF PINKS AT HOLKHAM LADY ANNE DRIVE REGARDS DEREKJAKE

Thanks Derek. btw, do they winter at any of the following sites: Cley, Holme, Titchwell, Snettisham, Blakeney Harbour? These are the sites I hope to visit when I go to Norfolk (see my signature).
Jyothi

The Firecrest said:
Thanks Derek. btw, do they winter at any of the following sites: Cley, Holme, Titchwell, Snettisham, Blakeney Harbour? These are the sites I hope to visit when I go to Norfolk (see my signature).
Jyothi
HI FIRECREST , There is a large roost at snettisham a peak count of 45,925 pinkfeet was made there in january 1994 , it is estimated that over 75,000 pinks winter on the north norfolk coast each winter, the best time to see numbers is from october onwards , but if you are going to blakeney lady ann drive is only 15 min up the coast try to get there about 1 hour before it gets dark as you go down lady anne drive park facing the field on the left hand side at the bottom as this field is one of their favorites to roost on , they do not normaly start to roost on bob hall sands until mid october , hope your lucky if not try and get back in late december or early january try to choose a time when its not near a full moon as then you will see the most geese returning atone time , hope your lucky firecrest , derekjake

Living in Sweden and can tell you that geese are well and truly on the move here, photographed these Beans yesterday with 350 greylags...

Attachments

• 111Bean.jpg
    111Bean.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 111Beann Goose.jpg
    111Beann Goose.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 85
Pink-feet really are arriving now, but still in small numbers. If you look at the BirdTrack results for Pink-foot you can see that we should be seeing the majority of birds arriving in the next few weeks:
http://blx1.bto.org/bt-dailyresults/results/s50-20-06.html

It would be good to get as many records as possible on BirdTrack now to really track this arrival. Its easy to register and submit records - just go to www.birdtrack.net

Mark Grantham
BirdTrack Organiser

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back