• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Sparrow with a Mohawk (1 Viewer)

bcurrie

It was not windy, so I do not know why this was happening. But I think it is kind of humorous.
10304151.jpg

Brian that is one po'ed looking song sparrow... really had a gale going today eh??
We have tundras here.. watched them for a long time... great looking...

Lots of birds are capable of raising their crown feathers into a crest. It's just that some do it more than others. Good pic of what I assume is an uncommon behaviour for that species. (Maybe a N American birder can confirm?)

I am going on the premise that this song sparrow got caught in the cross winds thus making it appear as if it has a crest to puff up.. it does not and please correct me IF I am wrong. I suspect strongly Brian you simply caught the draft and at a precise moment!

While Gaye has a good idea, the fact of the matter was it was not windy that day in the least. However, to the absolute best of my knowledge, Song Sparrows do not have any type of crest. I cannot explain it. I even asked my son, you know in case my old age was getting to me, and he confirmed that it was not windy.

Shucky Darn!!! No Wind.. but something ruffled this little beauties feathers....hot air????LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back