• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers and Something, Central FL, USA (1 Viewer)

rjackb

Would appreciate some help with IDs from these photos. 1 and 2 are surely the same. Not sure if 3 is enough to go on but I'll bet it is for all the experts on this forum. Thanks!

Attachments

• Bird1.jpg
    Bird1.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Bird2.jpg
    Bird2.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Bird3.jpg
    Bird3.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Bird4.jpg
    Bird4.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 38
Most of these photos have some issue with white balance.

#1 is a blue-grey gnatcatcher. After careful examination, #2 is the same bird, though with a bit of a yellow-green color cast (possibly just from nearby leaves)

#3 is a northern cardinal (looking oddly dull - I'm pretty sure it's a male and should be bright red, maybe the photo was underexposed and you lightened it in post-processing?)

#4 is a northern mockingbird (looking oddly orangish underneath)

#1 is a blue-grey gnatcatcher. After careful examination, #2 is the same bird, though with a bit of a yellow-green color cast (possibly just from nearby leaves)

#3 is a northern cardinal (looking oddly dull - I'm pretty sure it's a male and should be bright red, maybe the photo was underexposed and you lightened it in post-processing?)

#4 is a northern mockingbird (looking oddly orangish underneath)

+1 :t:

Thank you for the IDs.

I was using auto white balance on a Nikon D300 and raw file conversion was done by Capture One 9, both of which normally work very well. The shadows were adjusted on the 2 gnatcatcher photos but there were no adjustments at all to the cardinal or mockingbird photos other than cropping. Interesting that two other Northern Cardinal photos at a different location about 300 feet away had normal looking color. But shooting up into a shaded tree canopy may have thrown something off on some of the photos.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of Northern Cardinals that are rather dull in color. It usually happens around this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back