• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the Noctivid about? (1 Viewer)

You've had a problem with Leica BA/BN/Ultravid? I never have. Nor have I had any problem with Zeiss FL.

--AP

The diopter setting of my 8x32FL does drift a little, especially when the binocular hasn't been used for a few weeks. I don't mind re-setting it.

I must have been very lucky with the binoculars I've tried (or chaps like denco must have the touch of a safe-cracker), as, although some were more pleasant to use than others, none have been outright unacceptable. My birding doesn't require constant significant focus adjustment from near to far like some others do, though; the times I've been birding in wooded areas I've noted that the focus wheel needs to be worked a lot more. Most of the time only quite small adjustments are needed - that's why I prefer the focus gearing to be quite slow (for better fine-tuning) and the focus weight to be, I think, on the heavy side compared to others.

I like the compactness of the Noctivid; my hands/fingers are able to get a good grip around the barrels so the open bridge is useful (though I have no real trouble holding more traditional roof binoculars steady) and, for what it's worth, I think top tier modern binoculars are very well made. That bracket of binocular is certainly not competing with PRC made product. The best of the tier below, like the Meostar range and also the Conquest HD, also strike me as being very solid. I'd certainly rather use either of those in demanding conditions than any of the great classics of the past (except maybe a Leica BA/BN aka "brick' in good repair).

PS. I have to admit I find denco's opinions very entertaining, but in order to get the complete perspective, one needs to read both the "before" and "after"...

Indeed an entertaining thread

My five minutes play with the two NVD's found no problem with either regarding their focussing, and they were good for me to hold.
Enjoy nitpicking about the contenders, and then pick your poison;).

And with much of what has been discussed above in mind, today I bought some new Nikon 8x30 E11.

"PS. I have to admit I find denco's opinions very entertaining, but in order to get the complete perspective, one needs to read both the "before" and "after"..."

That is logical isn't it? Before I get the binocular and after I have it for awhile and have time to evaluate it. I am glad you like my posts.;)

Indeed an entertaining thread

My five minutes play with the two NVD's found no problem with either regarding their focussing, and they were good for me to hold.
Enjoy nitpicking about the contenders, and then pick your poison;).

And with much of what has been discussed above in mind, today I bought some new Nikon 8x30 E11.
For the money you can't go wrong with a good porro like Nikon 8x30 EII. If budget is not a problem and you want a good birding binocular put the Zeiss SF 8x42, Leica Noctivid 8x42, Swarovski SV 8.5x42 and the Nikon EDG 8x42 on a table and then try them all and pick the one YOU like the best. Your done! Go bird.

Last edited:
For the money you can't go wrong with a good porro like Nikon 8x30 EII. If budget is not a problem and you want a good birding binocular put the Zeiss SF 8x42, Leica Noctivid 8x42, Swarovski SV 8.5x42 and the Nikon EDG 8x42 on a table and then try them all and pick the one YOU like the best. Your done! Go bird.

Price never even entered the equation; those you mentioned would be left on the table.
o:D

Price never even entered the equation; those you mentioned would be left on the table.
o:D
I like my Nikon 8x30 EII also. It is a unique binocular with it's big easy view. All the porro's have a uniqueness to their view. The Habicht's do to. The view is just different than a roof with more 3D and often times brighter too. The one weak spot of the EII IMO is contrast. The Habicht is brighter and has better contrast. Also, the alpha roof's have better contrast than the EII. From the Greatist Binoculars Reviews. http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/nikon/nikon8x30e2/nikon8x30e2review.html

"The bad things - what the Habicht does better

1. No way around it - the Nikon images are much darker and much redder than the Habicht´s, and this was my crucial point, I just missed that Habicht sparkle, despite extreme sharpness the Nikon is almost a bit depressing in comparison. Like in the EDG I suspect Nikon is making the images darker than necessary to crush the blacks and thereby increasing perceived contrast at the expense of brightness.

2. Contrast and sharpness: The Nikon is - typical for Nikon - brutally sharp, but if we look at finer details and textures, it cannot quite match the Habicht."

Last edited:
Considering this is actually, and primarily a forum for Birds, Birding, Birders, most people on his thread use these Premium binoculars for that said purpose, are any of the Tedious threads on the mechanics of a binocular actually alluding to their unhappiness at actually Birding or Birdwatching using them, Fwiw my 10s are really superb, the issue i thought i had with them is now resolved, my error it turned out to be is me.

View: is crystal clear
Ergonomics: no hindrance as i have rather large hands (focus adjusting wheel)
Focussing wheel: like liquid velvet
Image: sometimes breathtakingly sharp (Conditions of viewing)

So for actually Birding 10/10

Considering this is actually, and primarily a forum for Birds, Birding, Birders, most people on his thread use these Premium binoculars for that said purpose, are any of the Tedious threads on the mechanics of a binocular actually alluding to their unhappiness at actually Birding or Birdwatching using them, Fwiw my 10s are really superb, the issue i thought i had with them is now resolved, my error it turned out to be is me.

View: is crystal clear
Ergonomics: no hindrance as i have rather large hands (focus adjusting wheel)
Focussing wheel: like liquid velvet
Image: sometimes breathtakingly sharp (Conditions of viewing)

So for actually Birding 10/10

Yes in all respects. Thank you for boiling it down to pertinent issues.

I was out this morning for 3.5 hours at Arrowhead Marsh, near the Oakland Estuary. In that time, I was able to pick up 48 birds, ducks, raptors, shorebirds, and passerines... everything from Northern Harriers, to Rails, Bushtits., sparrows, and warblers. The binoculars are a vehicle for entering into that world of delightful observation. The Noctivids did a great job.

Truthfully, there's many binoculars that can satisfy in this regard. Its getting out and using them that matters the most, and puts them to work.

-Bill

Last edited:
(to denco) I refer to your posts before and after you sell a binocular. ;)
You know, I recall someone here saying something very wise about the little voices in our head that stuck in my mind and seems apropos here, so I looked it up:
It has been my position for some time now that any particular users satisfaction level with any product you care to name, is dependent upon what it takes that user to be able to shut off the little voices we all have whispering in our ear telling us there has to be something better. We all like the idea of getting premium quality at whatever level our disposable income budget deems affordable. The main advantage of spending the $$ for a top tier binocular is that at that point those little voices calm to the point where the user can tune them out and just use the binocular. The reason is that there is the realization that there is nothing better to be had. That is the prime reason for spending cash on a Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica, at least in my opinion. As far as binoculars go I evidently can tune out the little voices better than some others. I have been looking for the right alpha binocular for me sin[c]e 1993. Still looking. From my perspective the big guns make lots of noise, but they don't live up to their hype by [a] long shot.
No binocular is perfect. I would just add that if even the alphas can't calm those little voices, the relevant mantra would be: "there is nothing better to be had"... and there are times when I need to recite it myself.

I do not have voices in my head that I need tuning out, some spend $$ on more frivolous things and that is their business, I spend it on optics, and I enjoy the variation of views.

Andy W.

I do not have voices in my head that I need tuning out, some spend $$ on more frivolous things and that is their business, I spend it on optics, and I enjoy the variation of views.

Andy W.

So right Andy. Some folks have an alpha car, go to alpha restaurants, use alpha smart phones and have alpha 'home-cinema' and audio outfits. We have a Skoda car, lots of binos and take holidays mostly in Scotland. Its just personal choices.

Lee

Andy, Lee,

Guys we all have the little voices. Your comments indicate to me that yours are those of the easily calmed variety and you have no need to pay attention to them. The three of us are evidently in the same position. I like to look things over just for the sake of looking it over, but I have no need to look past what I am using now.

When I find something that intrigues me, I may well buy it just to have it for a more serious evaluation.

All one has to do is to look at the various posts that pop up everywhere about comparing this binocular to that binocular and it becomes pretty clear there are lots of those little voices speaking into lots of ears. There is not a thing in this world the matter with that. We all have our own paths to finding gear we like. When we do find what suits us,I say the reason has more to do with ergonomics than with optics.

Some can be satisfied, some are always looking, forever discarding, and shouting their opinions as gospel.

I like my Nikon 8x30 EII also. It is a unique binocular with it's big easy view. All the porro's have a uniqueness to their view. The Habicht's do to. The view is just different than a roof with more 3D and often times brighter too. The one weak spot of the EII IMO is contrast. The Habicht is brighter and has better contrast. Also, the alpha roof's have better contrast than the EII. From the Greatist Binoculars Reviews. http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/nikon/nikon8x30e2/nikon8x30e2review.html

"The bad things - what the Habicht does better

1. No way around it - the Nikon images are much darker and much redder than the Habicht´s, and this was my crucial point, I just missed that Habicht sparkle, despite extreme sharpness the Nikon is almost a bit depressing in comparison. Like in the EDG I suspect Nikon is making the images darker than necessary to crush the blacks and thereby increasing perceived contrast at the expense of brightness.

2. Contrast and sharpness: The Nikon is - typical for Nikon - brutally sharp, but if we look at finer details and textures, it cannot quite match the Habicht."

You may have guessed that in buying these binoculars, optical quality was of second consideration, way after ergonomics.
I thought you sold your Habichts after the goat incident?
Are your Nikons the recent E11's with the new coatings?

Back on thread, I would probably go for the 10x42 NCV, as the image was steady for me. But having bought a couple Leicas this year shall resist as I'm in danger of becoming a fanboy |:D|

CharleyBird,
If the number of Leica binoculars bought this year does not succeed ten you do not have to worry, there is room for more.....How about one/month?
Gijs van Ginkel

|:d| I think my wife might just notice it I started collecting Leicas, though I do have plans to buy a couple more bins fairly soon.

Truth be told Steve, the teeny-tiny voice in my head keeps on whispering...
Fujinon LB 40x150

Yes, my Nikon 8x30 EII's are new stock and they are improved but they still are a little darker and don't have the contrast or sparkle the Habicht's do. I don't think you can beat a Habicht in a porro. They are the alpha porro's with EL glass and EL coatings. I have learned how to deal with their idiosyncrasies. I have all three Habicht's 8x30, 7x42 and the 10x40. The EII does have it's advantage's including a smoother focus and more comfortable eye cups but it is not waterproof or sealed from dust either like the Habicht's. You can buy the Habicht's new for about $700.00 on Ebay from the UK.

No binocular is perfect. I would just add that if even the alphas can't calm those little voices, the relevant mantra would be: "there is nothing better to be had"... and there are times when I need to recite it myself.

I think you've answered your original post tenex, quite succinctly, regarding the Noctivid.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back