• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

I go to my local mini-market fairly frequently, and every time there is the same group of older retirees standing outside smoking and gabbing.

Even if they aren't protecting themselves, I won't do anything to increase their risk.

I go to my local mini-market fairly frequently, and every time there is the same group of older retirees standing outside smoking and gabbing.

Even if they aren't protecting themselves, I won't do anything to increase their risk.
I see much the same - trouble is, if one is serious about distancing, how does one get past them to go in to the shop? They're effectively blocking the road for anyone else.

I see much the same - trouble is, if one is serious about distancing, how does one get past them to go in to the shop? They're effectively blocking the road for anyone else.

This particular store is big enough that you can avoid them. It's a big place with 10-15 gas pumps and twice as many parking places. So they can be avoided.

To be fair, I pretty much did that already to avoid second-hand smoke, but now it's more of an imperative, because thinking about it, if they aren't protecting themselves, quite frankly, I'd rather not go near them.

This particular store is big enough that you can avoid them. It's a big place with 10-15 gas pumps and twice as many parking places. So they can be avoided.

To be fair, I pretty much did that already to avoid second-hand smoke, but now it's more of an imperative, because thinking about it, if they aren't protecting themselves, quite frankly, I'd rather not go near them.

My neighbour who is self isolating, scared the hell out of an Amazon delivery driver yesterday. Appearing to collect his delivery in black gloves and attempting to explain his status as 'vulnerable' to the Polish driver, he was clearly misunderstood and the driver backed away in panic, covering his face and mouth.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on an unofficial blacklist for deliveries now!

Last edited:
In Italy 'Under the new rules announced late on Saturday, sport and physical activity outside, even individually, is banned. Using vending machines is forbidden.' ......

What kind of fresh heck is this ?!?! :eek!:

So you can't even go for a walk outside by yourself to look at the birds !!!!! :storm:

Chosun :gh:

The Scottish Cabinet Secretary for transport has tweeted: "With immediate effect, ferry companies will no longer take non-essential travellers. From now on Ferries will be for those who live on our islands, who have an essential need to travel to or from the mainland and for essential supplies or business. Nothing else." Now nobody can ignore please by the islanders not to visit even if there's a 'mega' there.

I have said previously that the World cannot just stop, indefinitely. There may have to come a time when politicians have to make the brutal choice of restarting the World economy and coming to terms with 'acceptable losses'?

And there is the crux. At some point that decision has to be made.

World recession means, amongst other things:
Millions of youngsters between say 10-20 pre-work are going to struggle because jobs will be scarce for the next X years.

21-30 - first out the door i.e. first to lose their jobs. Should recover.

30-50 - money in the bank but investments shot and little chance of pensions on the future but should have time to bounce back. But will have car payments, mortgages, kids to raise.....

51-70 - pensions screwed, little chance of re-training, savings going up in a ball of chalk.

71+ might croke it

This is not a joke... As Andy says someone has to make the tough decision to restart the economies or we and our children suffer for a number of years. On what basis do they make that decision and on whose advice?

We lose X million if people go back to work or what?

Already chinese people have been targetted. How far will China go to protect its citizens? Fight?

At least the people making the decisions will earn their money and thankfully thats not me. I have no job now, my girlfriend has no job now, my x wife has had to close her business. Things ain't going to be easy....

Chosun, Here in Spain we have been under "lock down" for a week. Nobody is allowed out of their house except for essential needs. I.e. food shopping, going to the pharmacy or going to work. All outside recreation is forbidden. This includes walking, cycling, horse riding and everything else! For those who live in town, which is 99% of Spanish, this is really a difficult time. Imagine being in a flat with 2 or 3 teenagers, it is not worth thinking about it. I forecast an increase in the divorce rate and a baby boom in December!!

For those in lockdown or isolation in Italy, Spain and further afield, or effectively self-isolating elsewhere (eg UK) I've started a Joint Birdforum listing thread in the appropriate subforum -

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=387738

Please feel free to share your sightings, photos etc, your common balcony bird may be someone else's mega. Will try and keep a running total for all, hopefully will help a tad with motivation and something positive in these strange and trying times.

The Scottish Cabinet Secretary for transport has tweeted: "With immediate effect, ferry companies will no longer take non-essential travellers. From now on Ferries will be for those who live on our islands, who have an essential need to travel to or from the mainland and for essential supplies or business. Nothing else." Now nobody can ignore pleas by the islanders not to visit even if there's a 'mega' there.

Thanks John- that’s helpful to know. Hopefully RBA/BGs etc are assessing what role they might have in this respect - perhaps rb news still go out but with locations undisclosed so people can still get a general feel for the type of spring we’re having regarding movements/occurrences of rares/megas.

Ringers and those involved in the NRS have been requested in writing to lead by example as have volunteer surveyors and to follow all government advice re ‘social distancing’ etc. We have been asked to follow any landowner’s decisions re safety from potentially infected birders/ringers/surveyors etc.

If we start seeing crowded scenes like those at the Royal Parks this w/e, on nature reserves and other outdoor environments too, as people take advantage of not working/sunny weather it really doesn't give a very good impression of the birding fraternity at this time if half of them are carrying scopes or mist poles! Your comments upthread in this regard are also welcome.

As Steve said earlier we are likely facing ‘lockdown’ imminently anyway so while its unclear exactly what that means yet, you can be sure it will mean even more restrictions than now and will be enforced by the police if voluntary compliance to help save lives is not achieved.

Last edited:
The Scottish Cabinet Secretary for transport has tweeted: "With immediate effect, ferry companies will no longer take non-essential travellers. From now on Ferries will be for those who live on our islands, who have an essential need to travel to or from the mainland and for essential supplies or business. Nothing else." Now nobody can ignore please by the islanders not to visit even if there's a 'mega' there.

About time as well John. :t:

Rich

I believe Wales just shut too? ;)

Twitter is awash with photos of Snowdon Car Park Deb. Ridiculous.

Not too many second home owners where I live Deb. Too close to Port Toilet. Took this photo this afternoon. You can see the aforementioned boot on the landscape in the background.

Attachments

• 127CD4B9-008A-43C9-AEED-365B8118C014.jpg
    127CD4B9-008A-43C9-AEED-365B8118C014.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 65
I have seen some interesting interpretations of photos of people 'failing to observe social distancing' that have included families 50 yards apart that I would have thought complied with the guidelines rather than evidenced breaches. I am not keeping two metres away from my wife indoors so presume that is fine outdoors as well. Unless an individual is self isolating, families in the same property are presumably in it together?

Not sure how far some people think two metres is.

The Q&A today following the briefing certainly seemed massively at odds with Essex County Council closing its Country Parks.

I did not go for an afternoon exercise walk today (with bins) but do intend to do that walk at dawn tomorrow to coincide with the tide.

I have noted all the comments on twitching. Some people on Twitter seemed to think that thousands would try and twitch a Killdeer. I treated that the same way as the social media posts endeavouring to portray the army on the streets of London.

Everyone needs to try and keep things in proportion and avoid exaggeration and speculation even when it gets worse as it sadly will WHILST FOLLOWING THE GUIDANCE AT ALL TIMES. Some of the desire to express outrage on Twitter etc is decidedly at odds with the data eg on reduced usage. The day after the Talk Radio question at the Prime Minister's briefing about when police would be deployed because London was behaving as normal, stats on transport usage were quoted showing that was not the case.

Edit - and for the avoidance of doubt none of that is intended as a suggestion that anyone on this thread has exaggerated. No criticism should be read into this post.

Keep safe and as cheerful as possible all

Last edited:
This late afternoon I went to look for a local pair of Little Owls that I found last year and have on and off visited over the past X months or so. This is not far from a public footpath but in a generally its out of the way of a main town and is very much an under visited location for JP.

This evening there was a ten fold increase in the amount of people out here that I usually encounter, where in eight previous recent visits I have seen only one dog walker and the most on any one visit, ever, has probably been no more than four. Over the years visiting this particalur location I rarely come across anyone.

If this is anything to go by lots of people are going to flood into the countryside to do 'Social Distancing' as the usual places most of these people would go to (The Pub, The Cafe, The Cinema, The Shops) will be closed .

I think for a time it's going to get pretty crowded in great outdoors

There was a comment in passing in the Q+A about ultraviolet and the virus that was interesting but they did their best to make it clear simply being outdoors was not enough to remove risk and social distancing protocols had to be followed.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I'm astounded at the low death rate in Germany, 0.3% of c25K infections compared to over 7% in Italy, can't just be the more aged population in Italy can it?

Spain doesn't have that many more infections than Germany yet compared to 94 dead in Germany, there are almost 1800, there has to be a reason?

Austria is similar to Germany going at just under 0.5% from c3.5K infections.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back