• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleview Pronto (1 Viewer)

bigbadja

I've been using one of my astronomical telescopes for digiscoping and am quite happy with it.
The teleview Pronto is a 70mm X 480mm EFL @f6.8 ED refractor.
Ihave a choice of 3 eyepieces, all 50mm barrels;
1> Teleview 32mm Widefield......I use this most of the time. The image is crisp right to the edges.
2> Teleview 16mm Nagler Type 2.
3>Seivert 52mm Widefield.

My current weak link is the current tripod. It is too light for the scope+ 90degree erecting prism +eyepiece + custom adapter + Olympus C720 camera....but it will have to make do for a while yet.

The Pronto is a fine piece of American precision engineering. The focussing is precise and fast. A lens hood extends out when the screw in lens cover is removed. I originally used this scope piggy-back mounted on to a 250mm S/C astronomical telescope and the optics were excellent at this level.

Minimum focus for digiscoping is around 15m [50'] with the 32mm widefield eyepiece.

I carry it around in an alum. camera case,450mmX150mmX 330mm deep.

The camera adapter was tooled from a nylon or poly? block. The extended camera lens-tube slips down to meet the top of the end machined to fit the eyepiece barrel so there is minimum space between the camera lens and the eyepiece lens
It is certainly more cost effective and fulfills the parameters of Ockham's Razor.

I bought it via Ebay from a private seller in the US in an effortless transaction. I never buy new astro gear if I can get it secondhand as I abhor paying unnecessary taxes and watching new things instantly depreciate.

To sum up: the optics are excellent, but the outfit is getting on the heavy side for bush-bashing....but it suits me as it covers 2 disciplines, astronomy and birdwatching.
Big Badja

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back