• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antpittas (1 Viewer)

I'd like to suggest that anyone who's had their book delivered, check it thoroughly, page by page. I'm told that there have been considerable quality issues with pages stuck together and double printing.

Mine is delayed again due to a second faulty batch.

I'd like to suggest that anyone who's had their book delivered, check it thoroughly, page by page. I'm told that there have been considerable quality issues with pages stuck together and double printing.

Mine is delayed again due to a second faulty batch.

Sending my KMO Gulls book back tonight for exactly the same reason..

cheers, alan

First thoughts
Artwork (plates) - excellent, and easily the best paintings of most species, although some of the Guy Tudor images may be comparable - far better than HBW
Text - remarkably comprehensive, with huge listings of sightings, specimens with GPS of locales, somewhat idiosyncratic in writing style but HG's passion for this group is there on every page
Photographs - lots of unique images especially the juvs and nests, but also the recent Tachira AP images, Great Antpitta, but a few still missing (Elusive, Grey-naped)
Taxonomy - remarkably conservative with no splits in Rufous Antpitta, thought the likely splits are pointed out in the text; the only counterpoint being the Spotted Antpitta group where there is a three way split on vocals, presumably following SACC, Clements etc, rather than BLI

In summary, excellent and essential

cheers, alan

First thoughts
Artwork (plates) - excellent, and easily the best paintings of most species, although some of the Guy Tudor images may be comparable - far better than HBW
Text - remarkably comprehensive, with huge listings of sightings, specimens with GPS of locales, somewhat idiosyncratic in writing style but HG's passion for this group is there on every page
Photographs - lots of unique images especially the juvs and nests, but also the recent Tachira AP images, Great Antpitta, but a few still missing (Elusive, Grey-naped)
Taxonomy - remarkably conservative with no splits in Rufous Antpitta, thought the likely splits are pointed out in the text; the only counterpoint being the Spotted Antpitta group where there is a three way split on vocals, presumably following SACC, Clements etc, rather than BLI

In summary, excellent and essential

cheers, alan

A must have for World or birders from the Americas obviously.

The splits of leymebambae and subcanescens (both in 2018) came somewhat late for including in this book.

My point more widely that HG has not chosen to drive splits through this publication - you might say ' future proof' against inevitable splits the Rufous Antpittas as the obvious one - he's not even gone with Perija.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back