• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More poachers eaten (1 Viewer)

My only question here is why on earth did the authorities tranquillize lions to recover poachers' remains? We are continually told on zoo programmes that anaesthetics are inherently risky: they shouldn't be inflicted on healthy animals to recover bits of dead people intent on evildoing. Leave the lions alone, they seem to be an effective anti-poaching measure.

John

A group of lions overcoming three armed men without suffering any (known) losses of their own shows some impressive tactical acumen IMO. I'm OK with that as long as they don't decide to eat rangers or other law-abiding folk.

My only question here is why on earth did the authorities tranquillize lions to recover poachers' remains? We are continually told on zoo programmes that anaesthetics are inherently risky: they shouldn't be inflicted on healthy animals to recover bits of dead people intent on evildoing. Leave the lions alone, they seem to be an effective anti-poaching measure.

John
I was actually thinking we should reintroduce them to their former range. They seem to be more effective at pest control than crown prosecutors... :-O

John
They wanted to recover the remains to do detective work on who & how many they were, to find potential accomplices.

Think the problem with tranquilisers is that they take a while to work - not safe with an escaped zoo lion where it might kill more people before it goes to sleep. That wasn't an issue here.

Oh, and if you take away their prey before they've finished, they'll be hungry quicker, and go get some more poachers :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back