• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhino poachers eaten by lions (1 Viewer)

If anyone 'deserves' to be eaten by lions it's not the poachers, who are generally poor and with few options in life, but those wealthier people who generate the market for rhino horn, etc.

If anyone 'deserves' to be eaten by lions it's not the poachers, who are generally poor and with few options in life, but those wealthier people who generate the market for rhino horn, etc.

Indeed. Specifically the devotees of Chinese “traditional medicine” with the funds to indulge their stupidities. That said, I shed no tears for the poachers.

Yes, the boss of poachers or their customer. Because poachers don't understand even what they do perhaps.

Last edited:
Poachers know what they are doing - the lure of the dollar is too much for them to care about that. That is easy for us to say because most of us don't have the financial hardships that these people face but that doesn't change the morals. You are not forced to rob a bank or to steal.

Trampled by Elephants or Rhinos would be a more fitting passing but Lions will do. Hopefully, some vultures got some scraps too...

Poachers know what they are doing - the lure of the dollar is too much for them to care about that. That is easy for us to say because most of us don't have the financial hardships that these people face but that doesn't change the morals. You are not forced to rob a bank or to steal.

Trampled by Elephants or Rhinos would be a more fitting passing but Lions will do. Hopefully, some vultures got some scraps too...

I'm a long-term opponent of the death penalty whether it's done by proxy or otherwise so I find the celebratory attitude towards their deaths and wishing it was 'slow and painful' repugnant. The moral argument is all fine and dandy when you know where your next meal is coming from but in a very uncertain world and when living at a level of poverty few, if any here, will have experienced it's far less compelling.

Death penalty can be very dangerous and unjust, because sometimes judicial mistakes happen, it can also be targeted for political purposes or based on lies of witnesses. So much better is life sentence.

I'm a long-term opponent of the death penalty whether it's done by proxy or otherwise so I find the celebratory attitude towards their deaths and wishing it was 'slow and painful' repugnant.....
+1 :t:

Karma = 1 , Poachers = 0
I wonder if they were also Christians? ..... ~2000 years --- too soon?! :)

Chosun :gh:

How many Wildebeest are there? how many Zebra? How much meat does the poachers take from their kills of Rhino because the don't know where their next "meal is coming from". Exactly the same as the Elephants. Horn and Tusks yes, meat NO. They know exactly what they are doing and accept the risks, and it's not for the food aspect. It's for the US dollar and subsequently an AK47 or the like.

Malky

I'm a long-term opponent of the death penalty whether it's done by proxy or otherwise so I find the celebratory attitude towards their deaths and wishing it was 'slow and painful' repugnant. The moral argument is all fine and dandy when you know where your next meal is coming from but in a very uncertain world and when living at a level of poverty few, if any here, will have experienced it's far less compelling.

I agree with this statement. If my family was in need of money for its survival I suspect that my morals might become more flexible.

Agreed,and extra meat rations will always go down well for growing pussycats.

Let's not forget the slow and painful death that the animals and their young will have suffered at the hands of these poachers.

In life if you're starving and have a family to feed then there are many paths open to you before you resort to poaching.

Usually the poachers are already criminally-minded and if they had chosen another 'path' then they, AND the animals they slaughter too, would all still be alive today.

Ending the 'market' for these 'goods' is the only sane way forward but the Chinese have too much power and sway - especially in Africa where they're buying up land as we speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back